Coldest Run Ever! And Great Portrait!

>> Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tomorrow I am supposed to run my last long run before my half-marathon next weekend. But instead, I ran it today, on the coldest day of the winter here in Minnesota. The cold doesn’t scare me (if you haven’t read my previous post about running in cold weather, make sure to check it out). It was titties cold when I was getting ready to head out in the late morning:



This run was going to be along the half-marathon course. So, earlier in the day, I drove the route and noted landmarks every half-mile. I transferred those mile-markers to a small piece of paper, and I taped it to my sleeve so I could reference it during my run:


I know people have done this before, but I felt like a genius!

I was hoping for another good run, but there were 2 things I was concerned about:

1. It was the coldest air temperature that I’ve even run in. A few days ago, the wind chill was worse, but 6 below is the coldest air temp during a run for me EVER. Would I be OK? Would my weak knee be pissed off in that cold?

2. It was along Shepard Road, which is nonstop, small, rolling hills. Would I be OK with that? Would the hills REALLY slow me down? Would my half-marathon time next weekend be horrendous because of those hills?

I wore the same outfit as in my previous post, but this time I didn’t start out wearing the TurtleFur ski mask. I carried it with me in case I needed it. I ran bare-faced. I ran the course backward: I started a few miles from home at the end of Cleveland Ave, which is the turn-around point for the half, and I ran towards downtown St. Paul (and then back).

Well, the wind started to freeze my face a little, but I was holding up OK. The wind cut more at the top of those rolling hills, but soon enough, I was heading down into a lower spot with much less wind. I hit the 6-mile marker where I turned around in 42:54.

My eyes were starting to freeze open. My nostril hair had been frozen solid since mile 2. My ears were getting a little chilled through my hat. My chin was getting frosty. But it was all do-able. I plugged on.

Miles 10 and 11 were tough. There were some uphill areas, and I was running more into the wind (remember, those who are running the half, this would be mile 5 and 6). But I ran the second 6 miles and got back to my car in 42:49. Total time for the 12-miler was 1:25:43. I was happy. There was another minor victory in the run too: I ran the whole 12 miles without stopping once. No stoplights, no potty breaks, no walking, no nothing. With each run, I usually keep track of “running time” and “actual time.” Usually, with my runs along Summit Ave, my actual time is 1 or 2 minutes slower than my running time because of stoplights. Today, they both go down as the same time. Running time: 1:25:43. Actual time: 1:25:43. Sweet, sweet victory.

• Longest training run ever.
• Coldest outdoor run ever.
• Longest run without walking or stopping ever.
• Highest running mileage week since high-school: 30.5 miles
• And my bad knee is HOLDING UP!


When I got back to my car, I immediately reached in and grabbed my camera. I snapped a photo of myself. I turned the camera around to see the photo. “What the hell...?” While running, I had no idea that I was so frozen:



My hat, my ears, my eyebrows, my eyelashes, my nose hair, and all of my scruff were COVERED in ice. Oddly, I was proud of it. Well, maybe it’s not all that odd to wear it proudly.

I got in the car and started to drive home. I suddenly got a taste of blood in my mouth, and I realized that I had a cold-weather bloody nose. I grabbed an unused Chipotle napkin from my armrest and crammed it up there. Then my hand grazed my business. My man business. “Uh oh...” I thought. Yep, it was a little frozen. So, with one hand on my junk trying to heat it up, one hand on my camera to take a picture, and one knee on the wheel to keep myself on the road, I snapped this photo:


I think this should be my new profile picture...

Little winky (as Mom calls it) was OK. It wasn’t as bad as earlier this winter when he nearly fell off. Closer to home, my nose stopped bleeding.



I’m ready for next weekend. Let’s go.

36 comments:

trimybest 5:40 PM, January 20, 2008  

i ran today too! i only did an easy 7 and i managed to overdress.

Nancy Toby 6:55 PM, January 20, 2008  

Uhhhhhh.... thanks for sharing. I think.

You SO need a Garmin. Lose the pre-driving the route, notes on your arm..... just go.

The Lazy Triathlete 6:55 PM, January 20, 2008  

I was a wuss and rode on the trainer today. 22 with a wind chill of 1 is too cold for me.

More power to ya

Anonymous,  7:21 PM, January 20, 2008  

Please take care of "little winkie" - I want grandchildren from you some day!! - so much for being anonymous!!?!

Marcy 7:26 PM, January 20, 2008  

Duuuuuuuuudddeeee!! Never cease to amaze me with the pictures you come up with LMAO!

Fe-lady 7:30 PM, January 20, 2008  

You DA MAN! You know they have special chonies (undies) to protect winky. How are you going to be put out to stud if you have a frozen winky?
Great photos!
Did your lungs freeze too? (I had someone tell me that it can happen...he was serious!)

Bill 7:33 PM, January 20, 2008  

:D

You rock, Steve! Frozen bits and all, that's impressive to get out there at -6 and push the pace like you did.

Well done.

Tri+Umph 9:00 PM, January 20, 2008  

Steve, as impressed as I am that you toughed through the -20 wind chills, one thing stands out more.

You completed an Ironman without running more than 12 miles? Or having a 30 mile week? Damn!

teacherwoman 9:12 PM, January 20, 2008  

I was in the cities this past weekend. I joked with my sister about running outside on our way to the Lifetime Fitness in Chanhassen. Little did I know that you were out there rackin' up the miles like a crazy man!

I am so pissed that the indoor tri there is over a weekend that I have prior commitments. SOOOO pissed. Excuse me for a moment while I get a hold of myself....

Absolutely pissed.

Kellye Mills 9:17 PM, January 20, 2008  

I must say that not only was I amazed at the fact that you would even BE OUTSIDE for over an hour, to do it while running and breathing in that cold air... incredible!! I ran 10 miles today in 28 degree weather and thought I was a stud :)

Awesome job with your time too! And BTW: I have an ipod and HATE to workout with it too because when it gets hot down here, it always seems to break because it gets so sweaty :)

triguyjt 9:49 PM, January 20, 2008  

I think I saw the image of Jesus in that napkin...

wow..

1:25 in sub-bazillion below..

you are super human, even if your nose cries bloody.

props...

can the lil soldier salute??

Becca 9:52 PM, January 20, 2008  

Wow! You're braver than I! It's such an accomplishment when you can do that run without stopping! Way to go!

the Dread Pirate Rackham 11:09 PM, January 20, 2008  

I did 4 today in a balmy 20-something. The sun was shining.

Sure, I am a wuss. Come to New Mexico and I'll introduce you to wussy lifestyle: only two layers, no frozen scruff, no frostbitten bits.

RobbyB 11:41 PM, January 20, 2008  

Did you see the game tonight? Lots of football players had Vaseline on their faces to protect from the cold on their open skin. I hear bodyglide does the same. Just a thought to help through your craziness of running through the south pole.

LittleRachet 7:01 AM, January 21, 2008  

Bravo, Steve! Bravo! You are ready for anything next weekend!

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" 8:27 AM, January 21, 2008  

I've never even heard of a cold weather bloody nose. OMG.. you are brave!

RunBubbaRun 8:28 AM, January 21, 2008  

Aren't you glad your mom got you does spandex undies now. Help keep the goodies warm.

Great run, cold or not cold, your a pretty fast eskimo kid..

Anonymous,  8:55 AM, January 21, 2008  

There *are* days that's a little too cold to run outside... But apparently, we all have our definitions of those days!

Kudos for getting out!

Jess 9:12 AM, January 21, 2008  

Um, I feel like I should do you a favor and let you in on a secret. Now, I'm guessing no one hstold you since you seem intent on running outside, so I'm gonna go out on a limb here: there's this place, it's called "indoors" and people have these machines, they're called "treadmills." These machines can be used in the indoors to avoid running in the outdoors.

Generally, it's not -6 inside.

There ya go. You're welcome.

Rainmaker 10:38 AM, January 21, 2008  

It's all fun and games until someone shoots a bloody snot rocket.

I agree with Nancy - you DEFINITLY need a Garmin.

Anonymous,  11:15 AM, January 21, 2008  

That's some hard-core running there!

Iron Girl Nyhus 2:47 PM, January 21, 2008  

I'm so glad everything okay... I mean... YOU HAD ME WORRIED!

CoachLiz 2:58 PM, January 21, 2008  

OMG!!!

I had a flashback to a run I did in Chicago in 2006 along Lake Shore Dr. as I was training for IMAZ. It was -9 and I had to get 12 miles in as well. I was wishing for a camera because no one in Houston would have believed me when I told them about the beads of ice covering my eyebrows, eyelashes, and the fuzz and hair along the side of my face.

Here is the part that cracked me up. I was on a running path and a water fountain had stayed on and it was one massive block of ice. It left patches of ice one the path so I decided to hop on the grass that had a dusting of snow. and forgot that it was frozen solid as well. It looked like someone had been through on a mountain bike and when my foot hit the grass I almost twisted my ankle on the ruts. I had forgotten that the ground was frozen solid as well.

It was in the high 40's and low 50's for my 17 miler yesterday.

Way to go! Can't wait to read the race report.

Dana 4:22 PM, January 21, 2008  

You are such the man,Steve! I did my 7miler in 12 degree temps(no wind) today & I thought I was bad but I bow to your superior run! I didn't see where you mentioned you wore some Chapstick but I hope you did!

And you ARE a genius for writing down your route & taping it to your sleeve. I am SOOO using that for my long runs.

Triteacher 7:22 PM, January 21, 2008  

I was Frosty too this weekend. And yep, proud of it too!

islandrunner 9:41 PM, January 21, 2008  

lucky you dont have cold sores on cold sores!

21stCenturyMom 9:51 PM, January 21, 2008  

SO.HARD.CORE!

And that car sitchyation sounds like a Seinfeld episode in the making - "I wasn't jerking off - I wasn't! Really!! I wasn't! I was just warming the bishop. Seriously."

Mendy 10:18 PM, January 21, 2008  

Holy cow! LMAO at those pics. Seriously, that is colder than I can imagine. I am down south though and we don't see those temps at all! I had issues running in low 30's today, but did it and complained about it. Yes, I'm a wimp.

Bummer on the nosebleed. I, too, haven't heard about that type of nosebleed.

Hope you half isn't as cold!

Michelle 6:08 AM, January 22, 2008  

multi-tasking and multi-talented....You're almost as good as a mother!

brendaj 11:42 AM, January 22, 2008  

Another inspirational post! Love the self portraits.

Donald 12:30 PM, January 22, 2008  

Wow. Fantastic run in those conditions. You're not making me want to leave California anytime soon, though.

Sounds like you're definitely ready for your race - have a great one!

monica 2:12 PM, January 22, 2008  

here in Cali we panic when it dips below 70. today it's like 60, and i've got the heater cranked. i don't know how you guys do it!!

kick some major frozen ass at that half!!!

Stef0115 10:31 PM, January 22, 2008  

OMG Steve!!! How can one post be so admirable and so EFFING FUNNY at the same time!!

I just don't know what to say except -- WOW.

It's mid 50s here btw.

IronTriTim 8:50 PM, January 23, 2008  

It was in the negative double digits here too, didn't leave the house. Great respect to you. When the temps drop below 32 then its time to hit the treadmill. Love the artic explorer look.

E-Speed 7:24 AM, January 25, 2008  

jeepers, weather so cold your nose bled, I'm not sure even I would be down with that ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.