Look Ma! I’m Running!

>> Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I just got back from my first run in over 2 weeks (because of my recent achilles issues). I’m icing on the couch, but I’m doing OK!

I decided to try a 6 mile run. I’m smart enough to not go out for a 14 miler (which is what I REALLY want to do), but I also know I needed to push it a little, because Grandma’s Marathon is only 6 weeks away. So I had to try to go more than just 2 or 3. Pharmie and I both decided that a 6 mile run at an easy pace was the best thing to try.

I stretched pretty good and warmed my heel by the fireplace. I strapped on my new shoes and headed out. Anyone who’s ever ran after an injury knows how your mind ONLY travels to the injured area, and it waits for the slightest twinge. I tried to force myself to run a little slower than usual, and to run with nice, soft heel strikes. A few miles into the run, everything was still OK - maybe just a little tight, but mostly OK. At the turn-around, I was still feeling great, and I was in high spirits. One more mile, and I started feeling a little soreness in my heel. It got a little better after another mile.

When I finished, both my heel and knee were a little sore, but they weren’t bad. It’s about the best I could hope for right now! I stretched for a bit after the run, and now I’m nearly done icing my heel and knee.

Because this run went OK, I plan on running the Gear West Duathlon this weekend. I just said “run” because Pharmie’s brother, Matt, is going to do the bike. We’re teaming up and going for gold! I’ll be running the first 5K and the last 4K, and Matt will be biking the 17 mile ride in the middle. We’ll see how that goes!

In other random news:

• I just bought a harmonica. I’d like to teach myself how to play it this summer. Right now when I try to play it, it sounds like it’s being raped.

• I’m wrapping up spring classes. But next week, I start teaching a summer class at CVA. So not much of a break...

• I played my first round of golf in exactly 4 years this past weekend. Golfing is not my strongest suit. I shot a 7 on a par 3 after nearly driving the green. Nuff said.

• This weekend, when I was at my parents home for Mothers Day, Mom and Dad were asking about “Google Earth.” So I showed them what it was all about. We looked at the homestead, and then we noticed something in the field that doesn’t belong there. I’m pretty sure Google Earth caught my Dad cultivating the field:



And then I looked around at some places in the Cities. I found my car in front of the College of Visual Arts, as I am usually one of the first ones there in the morning:



Oh, one last quick question. With my achilles tendonitis and my consistently sore knee, should I be running on the concrete sidewalk? Or should I be running on slightly uneven (but more cushioned) grass? I run most of my miles down Summit Ave in St. Paul, and there are grassy areas in between many areas of Summit. Should I be doing some (or all) of my running on the grass?

21 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 12:31 PM, May 13, 2008  

Hmmm, when I had my Achilles stuff, I repulled it once because I misstepped on a curb while running. So while grass sounds better, I would be wary of uneven surfaces where you might accidentally pull on it!

KK 12:48 PM, May 13, 2008  

A PT I ws working with for knee/achilles/posterior tibialis tendonitis and plantar fascitis says that running on uneven surfaces is much better for your muscles and tendons because it forces you to use a variety of muscles/tendons rather than accrruing all that repetitive stress on the major muscle groups you use when running only on even surfaces.Clear as mud, eh?

Good luck this weekend and on the rest of your recovery.

I feel sorry for your harmonica.

Fizzgig 12:54 PM, May 13, 2008  

i love google earth! its kind of addictive, and, scarey at the same time!

sRod 12:58 PM, May 13, 2008  

Grass is what I always hear, so I would try that.

MtngirlinCali 2:12 PM, May 13, 2008  

Running on uneven ground is a cause of achilles tendonitis, so I would stick to asphalt/concrete until the inflammation is down and you don't have any pain. Keep icing, stretching, and strengthening, and you'll be smokin' them at Grandma's before you know it!

jen 3:26 PM, May 13, 2008  

I won't add to the conflicting feedback on the concrete/grass debate because I have no clue. Maybe alternate?

Glad your run went ok! I know what you mean about being hypersensitive about any twinges in the area. I am always excited to get pain somewhere else so I can think about that for a while!

Jamie 3:35 PM, May 13, 2008  

Grass and dirt are always better than concrete and asphalt.

I'm no PT, but I say try some strengthening exercises. One legged squats or squats and lunges on a bosu ball are awesome.

Wedgie 3:58 PM, May 13, 2008  

Do NOT run on concrete! I started having legs problems and didn't know why; turns out it was because I started running on sidewalks. Asphalt is way softer than concrete and is safe to run on. If it's not even, try to run on alternate sides of the road when you can. (Come on, you're in Hicksville, there can't be any traffic to worry about.)

J~Mom 4:37 PM, May 13, 2008  

Google Earth is so much fun. I would avoid the harder surfaces if you can.

Formulaic 5:49 PM, May 13, 2008  

The uneven surfaces are a danger for more damage, but I think that the soft surfaces out way the cons.

Of course there's always the dreadmill (but only until you're recovered.)

Unknown 9:12 PM, May 13, 2008  

Glad to hear that you were able to get 6 in - hopefully it gets easier. And I totally feel your pain about where your mind goes when you are injured. It's hard to kick that. Wish I had advice about sidewalk versus grass - I avoid concrete if at all possible because everyone always says how bad it is, but what do I know?!

ShirleyPerly 5:30 AM, May 14, 2008  

I think it depends on how even the ground is and how hard the grass is. Namely, I wouldn't run on the St Augustine grass we have down here in FL because it'd be like running on 2-3" sponges and liable to cause more stress on your Anchilles, like running on soft sand would. Your knee might like the softer surface though.

Good luck at the du!

Ryan 6:19 AM, May 14, 2008  

When you said there is Dad Cultivating the field, the first thing I thought of was Cheech and Chong type of cultivation.

It sounds like I need to be hangin' with your Dad ;)

Nat 8:14 AM, May 14, 2008  

Glad you're back running! Good luck this weekend, hopefully, it will warm up a little??

trimybest 9:27 AM, May 14, 2008  

thats your dad? i thought it was a cat!

triguyjt 6:30 PM, May 14, 2008  

we gotta get you a bluesy musicians kinda name...

the formula is
1. handicap (gimpy-deafness-blindness)
2. some kinda fruit
3. a former presidents last name

so... How about...
"Blind Melon Jefferson
or
Deaf Banana Clinton

Good Luck... God have mercy on Pharmie!!!!!!!

Unknown 9:59 PM, May 14, 2008  

Glad you are running again.

My 43yr old knees always appreciate softer surfaces for running. But your knees are much younger than mine, so not sure what to say ;)

CoachLiz 11:51 PM, May 14, 2008  

O.K.

My 2 cents here...Grass is nice and soft, but the danger of falling into a low spot that does not look like a low spot because the grass was mowed even on top is a danger. If you can find a trail that has soft wood chips or go to a school track that has a softer surface than the pavement, that is what I would do.

My other advice is to avoid the heel strike and go for more of a mid-foot strike to almost fore-foot strike. It is hard to break old habits, but just think of having a little rock in the heel of the shoe and you don't want to get a blister. Or just think about trying to keep the tread on the heel of your shoe looking almost new. The heel will hit the ground but the landing will be lighter. This allows the gastrocnemius and the soleus to act as shock absorbers and provide spring to your next stride.

That is what has been working for me since I had knee surgery back in the fall of 2006 and I have not had any foot, ankle, knee, or hip issues since then.

Dana 6:34 PM, May 15, 2008  

I 2nd kk comment. Just make sure you watch your footing(don't want a twisted ankle on top what you have already been thru). Actually my PT says to mix it up so your legs don't get too used to one type of surface.

Glad to hear the run went ok & good luck at the duathlon this weekend!

ShesAlwaysWrite 8:44 PM, June 07, 2008  

LOL! Google Earth managed to do their street level view of my neighborhood in October, so in our photo there's a cemetery in my front yard : )

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.