Last Long Run

>> Tuesday, June 03, 2008

This morning was my last long run before Grandmas Marathon in 2 and a half weeks. And it was pissy.

First, you should know that I cancelled my tempo run last week - I started out and decided to call off the 6-8 mile tempo run about a half mile into it. My achilles was a little sore, and I didn’t have much to gain from a shorter tempo run at this point. I’m TRYING to play it smart. I was proud that I had decided to stop.

So today was the first time I was really going to try running in exactly one week. Last week Tuesday, I ran 17.5 miles at marathon pace with A LOT of achilles pain. This week, I was really hoping to get in around 20 miles as my last pre-marathon run. It didn’t happen.

I was just over 1 mile into the run today when my heel started hurting about as much as it did last week at mile 10. I knew it wasn’t going to last - I didn’t want to overdo it now and take myself out of the marathon before it started. I turned around under 3 miles into the run, and ran a total of 5.5 sore, crabby miles.

I got home and threw my unused, untouched Fuel Belt on the counter, still full of water, Gatorade, and 3 gels:



I stretched for about 25 minutes, and then iced for a bit on the couch:


Kermit joined me

Deep inside, I KNOW that I can go the distance, but one last long run would have been good for my mental satisfaction. Last week I was watching a special on PBS about the physical AND mental training that Marine Officers go through. One of the men on the program said that the Spartans had a saying that went something like, “Training is less about strengthening the back, and more about strengthening the mind.” I could have used that mental toughening today, but I’ll have to do without.

On Thursday, I have an appointment with a doctor who specializes in ART (active release techniques). I’ve been told by local blogger buddy Julia that this guy can work magic! We’ll see how it goes. I’ll keep you updated.

Because I’ve been a bit of a Debbie Downer lately, let me leave you with something a little more entertaining. Two months ago, just after April 1st, I got to the University of Minnesota to get ready to teach my Digital Photo course. I logged into the instructor computer, and I saw this:



I don’t want to go into the history of that image, but regardless, someone had found that image of me and placed it as the background image on the instructor computer. I laughed out loud a little, and promptly replaced the background with just a solid color before the digital projector warmed up and was projecting that image to the entire class.

More of my students started showing up and logging in to the computers to get ready for class. Just before class was to begin, I realized something was not quite right. That image was on the background of all 20 computers in the room, in front of every student. Damn it. Good April Fools joke, but damn it.

One of the other young instructors (whom I’ve known for 6+ years) had played her first large-scale April Fools joke by hacking into our class log-in and putting that image on all the computers. She’s not “that type” of person, so it was a shock to find out it was her. Well played. Good for her. Caroline, watch your back next April...that’s all I have to say...

28 comments:

Fizzgig 1:11 PM, June 03, 2008  

now, that is a classic school prank! ha ha ha ha!

xt4 1:25 PM, June 03, 2008  

Hang in there dude - I know there's nothing anybody else can say, but it's probably a lot like Ironman - at this point your fitness is in the bank. Rest is probably the most important training you can do.

Viv 3:34 PM, June 03, 2008  

That prank was a good one.

I hope everything puls together for you marathon.

chia 3:45 PM, June 03, 2008  

***happy healing thoughts***

Brilliant prank, such a funny pic!

Leah 4:20 PM, June 03, 2008  

I had some ART work done when I was having plantar fascia problems a couple of years ago and it worked well. Good luck!

Rachel 4:40 PM, June 03, 2008  

That's awesome! Take care of your achilles. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

Ryan 6:36 PM, June 03, 2008  

2 weeks of rest and you will be better than ever. Plus, that should give you plenty of time to devise a sinister practical joke.

Every day is PayBack!

Oh, and bring a rolled up towel to bite and scream in during your active release session.

Kevin 7:01 PM, June 03, 2008  

Thats a great prank. Cant wait to hear how you get her back. Good luck with the ART

IronTriTim 7:05 PM, June 03, 2008  

Your face while lying on the couch with kermit says it all. Hope you sort your achilles out.

The Lazy Triathlete 7:32 PM, June 03, 2008  

That has me laughing. The joys of "higher" education.

brendaj 8:26 PM, June 03, 2008  

Tapering is good for the mental preparation too. I hope you get all rested and healed up!

Jumper 2.0 9:38 PM, June 03, 2008  

Definitely let us know how the ART goes. And rest, you have the marathon down just fine. You ran one after biking for 112 miles and swimming before that!

Remember? :-)

Hey, do you want to arrange a meet after your marathon so we can watch pharmie, allycat and others finish? Drop me an email.

ShirleyPerly 10:59 PM, June 03, 2008  

Majorly bummed to hear your Anchilles is acting up again. Hope the ART treatment works. Best of luck!

Unknown 7:41 AM, June 04, 2008  

Now that's a good April Fool's joke - and I thought it was good that she had just done it to your computer, let alone the 20 student computers! Revenge is going to be a biotch isn't it?!?!

Hope the heel heals and that you have a good run at Grandma's. Best of luck!

Brian 7:45 AM, June 04, 2008  

I've heard lots of positive things about the art although I've never tried it.

That's a good prank. Nobody got hurt, just some innocent fun.

sRod 9:47 AM, June 04, 2008  

Awesome prank...I needed more of those in college.

Wedgie 10:09 AM, June 04, 2008  

As a "cat person", somehow I think that Kermit understands your frustration. At that alone makes everything feel better! Well, at least a little bit.

triguyjt 11:29 AM, June 04, 2008  

let us know how that ART goes... Hope you get kinda a miracle on this one...

Hey, I bet you have about 8 prank ideas forpayback floating in that devious mind of yours...

Benson 12:57 PM, June 04, 2008  

good on ya for rest and healing. Best of luck with the ART. I've heard great things about it.

Good clean pranks are good for everyone. paybacks are fun too.

jen 1:04 PM, June 04, 2008  

I love a good prank. I'm really gullible too, so I make an obvious target.

Sorry you didn't get the confidence boost you needed. I know how frusterating an injury is and can completely relate. UGH. You have a decent amount of time to really heal up before the race though, so just continue to take it easy. Eventually, this will pass, I promise! :)

Kim 3:00 PM, June 04, 2008  

ohhh i go to a guy for ART... he's the only guy in the world that i allow to touch me and make me cry. in a "i want to eff you up bc this hurts" kind of way. go get em champ!

Bill Carter 3:26 PM, June 04, 2008  

Hi Steve

You are going to do great. Give your body and your brain a break and the most important thing now is to be well rested for the race.

Best of luck.

J~Mom 4:45 PM, June 04, 2008  

I miss those teacher pranks. We used to have so much fun...frustrating sometimes but fun.

I sure hope you feel better for your race!

RunBubbaRun 6:03 AM, June 05, 2008  

Hang in there, remember pain is temporary and so are injuries if you taken care of them...

You'll do fine at grandma's..

Okay, I hope that cat was not licking your chest again..

TRI TO BE FUNNY 10:44 AM, June 05, 2008  

Steve in a Speedo's spirits are down?!?! NOOOOOO!!!!!! That's not allowed :-) Seriously, you've been down this road before and you are adequately trained for this race even if you don't walk another step between now and Grandma's. You know what?! If it doesn't work out for this one, there will be another marathon and a smokin' PR!!!!!!!!!

Alili 3:38 PM, June 05, 2008  

Hang in there, celebrate the race and have fun. You are going to ROCK this one!

Dana 6:18 PM, June 05, 2008  

You know you got this(even w/o the last long run).

Caroline Houdek 11:25 AM, June 10, 2008  

Bring it on Steve-O, just remember, they do call me sweet Caroline... you can't be too vengeful! :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.