WIBA 2008: Part 1

>> Saturday, June 28, 2008

Or, “Bowl Full of Sunshine!”

I’m writing from a hotel room as a part of WIBA 2008. WIBA stands for “Wisconsin Ironman Brick Adventure.” It’s the 3rd year it’s been held, and Pharmie and I have been to all 3 years. Pharmie is out on a 72 mile ride with other triathletes right now, and I’m bumming it in the hotel room (I’m supposed to be grading projects from my summer Color Theory class). Here’s an update on what’s went down so far:

Pharmie and I left the Twin Cities around 4 pm last night and drove straight to Madison, WI. We met the group just as they were done eating supper. Blogger buddy Robby B lead a small group of us down the street to get some Gelato (Pharmie’s FAVORITE!!!).




Robby and Pharmie enjoying gelato!

We got checked in to our hotel room and hit the hay. We got up this morning and met some friends for breakfast. I learned 2 things while we were sitting around eating:

1. Rural Girl asked if I brought the short yellow shorts (which I DID), and she considers them a “bowl full of sunshine.” And that’s a little creepy, because she reminds me a little bit of my Mom. Don’t tell her I said that...

2. There’s this amazing spray that you can spray around the foundation of your home to keep sneaky waffles from crawling into your basement:


Notice that it’s “Long Lasting.”

“Waffle Off” is just fun to say. Say it with me. No, say it faster. Say it like one word: “waffleoff.” Fun, isn’t it. I gotta get me a can of that.

So we headed to Lake Mendota for my first open water swim of the year. There were lots of weeds:


(Photo from Wil’s hubby, James)

OK, so it wasn’t that weedy everywhere, but there was quite a bit of weeds during the first few minutes of the swim. Here’s a few of us getting ready:



Here’s a group getting ready to jump in:



When we got done, I sprinted back to the car, changed into JUST the short yellow shorts, and came running back down the dock. I got some hoots and hollers from the group, and then I jumped right in the lake. James snapped a photo when I crawled out:


(Photo from Wil’s hubby, James)

Apparently, they get wet, and all goes downhill. They basically turn into Cling Wrap. ‘Nuff said. YOU SHOULD BE THANKING ME FOR PIXELATING THAT “ONE PART!” One lady, who I just met, remarked, "It was like a car accident that you KNOW you shouldn't look at, but you just can't help it!" That's the first time my junk has been compared to a car wreak. Great. James has more photos of me jumping off the dock and coming out of the water, so stay tuned for those!

We all dried off and headed to another nearby park to get ready for the bike ride. Rural Girl went looking for a bathroom...



...but all she found was the woods, and I think that was all she needed (if you know what I mean). Here’s the group getting ready to hit the bike course:


Pharmie is in the red, near the right

Well, I should take off and get some grading done, while I’m sitting hear in my air conditioned hotel room as the others are in the middle of the hot, sunny, WI countryside working their butts off:


20 comments:

Unknown 1:48 PM, June 28, 2008  

Sounds fun. Wish we had signed up too.
were you runninglast night in Middleton?? I swear I saw you on the track at Bishop Oconnor Center.... but then you were gone so wasn't sure.

Kevin 2:30 PM, June 28, 2008  

Sounds like a great time. You may not want to wear those yellow shorts out in public

Tea 2:49 PM, June 28, 2008  

Waffle Off---OMG.....I'll be laughing all day at that one. (Maybe I should try to get out of the house more?)

chia 5:02 PM, June 28, 2008  

Waffle deflector. Great :-). Another spray-on I can mistake for sunscreen... actually blasted myself in the face with PAM the other day... I had set the coppertone right next to it in the kitchen for some reason lmao.

have fun!!!

RobbyB 5:18 PM, June 28, 2008  

The best part is that you're still wearing the matching singlet in the last picture.

Awesome!

RunBubbaRun 5:28 PM, June 28, 2008  

Thanks for the update... Feels like I'm there..

Have fun grading papers.. Air condition room and hot sun.. Hmm always a tough choice..

Your junk as a car wreck, I hope you didn't slow to much traffic down with all the lookers. Okay now I glad I was not there for that..

Bigun 8:13 PM, June 28, 2008  

isn't it time to shave the chest a bit, again?

CoachLiz 9:41 PM, June 28, 2008  

I think that the yellow shorts are now more famous than you are!

How chilly was the water?

I hope you got your grading done!

Tracy 11:07 PM, June 28, 2008  

HA, not chilly enough Liz. Not nearly chilly enough. Steve check your email, I forwarded the shots again, as well as to Pharmie :)

Viv 9:10 AM, June 29, 2008  

That weedy swim looks suck, but nothing beats the yellow shorts pic. Being new to your blog I almost piss myself laughing with the blur spot.

Jade Lady 9:13 AM, June 29, 2008  

Sunshine..You think the WaffleOff could have worked like ClingFree?
Maybe try at home first...

Car wreak...? Hilarious comment!

Sounds like WIBA is a ton of fun, almost as much as color theory!

RBR 9:47 AM, June 29, 2008  

Waffle off is also great for keeping ill tranined waffles off the couch and out from under the Christmas tree.

Just FYI

(Hmm, grading or hot sun? I'd choose hot sun. You are a trooper!)

RobbyB 1:38 PM, June 29, 2008  

I'm not quite pick it out. Some sort of cream?

Michelle 4:49 PM, June 29, 2008  

Thanks, Steve. I'm just assuming you have one cool mamma!

Wedgie 4:25 PM, June 30, 2008  

Those are pretty big pixels, sir. My hat's off to you.

Wedgie 4:26 PM, June 30, 2008  

Those are pretty big pixels, sir. My hat's off to you.

triblog carol 9:20 PM, July 01, 2008  

where can we see the x-rated version?

Supalinds 11:57 AM, July 02, 2008  

Awesome WIBA report...thanks for sharing!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.