Family Friendly Farm Animal Costume Rentals

>> Monday, October 06, 2008

This story will be told with little writing, but many photos:

We had about 15 people over for supper on Saturday night (family and blogger friends) to get ready for the TC Marathon the next day. However, only 4 were running the race:


Pharmie, Stu, Robby, and Borsch

We had a meal of pasta and grilled chicken, and we shunned Robby and Stu to the “special” end of the table:



The next morning, the neighbors would have gotten quite a show if they looked out their windows around 6:45 am. Mike was getting ready to head to the start of the race:



We got to the race site, and Pharmie and I posed for a picture:



As we walked along all the streaming cars, I stopped twice to do a little pole dance. How weird is that?



Seriously though, we ran though the congested traffic, and people were honking, waving, and holding their hands out their windows for high-fives. It was awesome. And a cop drove right by me as I was running down the middle of the road, and he just smiled and waved.

Then, for no good reason, the 3 of us animals posed next to a road work sign:



And I started flapping my wings and walking around like a chicken:



Then we posed for some group photos. Here’s the 3 of us farm animals, along with the 2 farm girls:



And here’s our entire group:


Borsch and Pharmie ready to run!

We also had a bunch of complete strangers ask to be in photos with us. And other random strangers were just snapping photos of us. KIDS LOVED US! We would wave and high-five kids left and right! Some kids would just run up to us and hug us. It was sooo funny! In fact, Matt said this before the end of the day: “If I ever turn into a pedophile, I’m buying one of these outfits, because we can’t FIGHT the kids off of us!”

Mike’s cell phone was ringing, so Anne had to dig down his pants to get it. I LOVE their expressions (it’s VERY “Mike and Anne”):



We sent our runners off, and all of us “cheerers” headed to watch the start of the race. I had to gracefully and elegantly hurdle a fence:


Did I say “graceful and elegant?” I lied. Big time.

The race had begun, and Phamie and Borsch were running with about 11,000 other people! Here they are about 2 blocks into the race:



We headed off to the next stop, but not before leaving some manure behind:



So we got to mile 15 on the course, but it was raining. It’s hard to cheer with an umbrella:





It finally let up (after a few downbursts and about an hour of constant rain), so we ditched the umbrellas, and Mike danced:



We were giving high-fives to everyone left and right! Before too long, our runners came by, still all smiles, and still running together:



Just behind them, Bill saw me, stopped, and wasn’t going to start again until we had a photo together. I met Bill this past year: he was the race director for the Winter BeGone Duathlon, and he did the Square Lake Half IM with Pharmie and I a few weeks ago:



We were done at mile 15. Now, we were on to mile 26. Here we are with Jess (a college friend who’s hubby, Tony, was running):





Then we HAD to pose for a photo with Elvis. He had just finished the TC 10 Mile in that get-up:



I suddenly got a huge grin on my face. “Hey Mike. Can I get on your shoulders?...”




The runners loved it.

And then, there was a little cross-breeding going on:


Would that be “peef” or “bork?” I’m not sure.
But I bet it’s DELICIOUS!

We had made some sweet, sweet signs too. Have a look:





I wanted to have a sign like this, but I forget to make it:


It would have said “chicken suit,” but you get the idea...

We started getting hungry, and Matt resorted to cannibalism:



One lady STOPPED just before mile 26, pulled out her camera that she was running with, and asked to get a photo with us 3 farm animals. Crazy! When we were doing that, someone ran by and screamed “Hi Steve! I love your blog!” Who were you? I didn’t get to see who said that!

Then, Pharmie came running by, giving high-fives, about to finisher her 10th marathon and her 9th consecutive TC Marathon!



Borsch was only a few minutes behind her, on his way to finishing his 1st marathon!




Borsch headed towards the line and a group of farm animals

All of the runners we were cheering for did well! We missed Stu at the finish because he was too speedy! Robby and Tony broke 4 hours. XT4 came in just over 4. And Pharmie and Borsch finished in just over 4:30! Congrats to all runners!!

We went down to the finish line to find our runners. Here’s Steph and Pharmie, shortly after Pharmie finished:



And here’s part of our group walking back after the finish:



The finish of the TC Marathon is great: the runners go past the cathedral of St. Paul, down a little hill, and under this HUGE flag over the race course on their way to the finish:



When we were walking back, we stopped in front of some loud music to (awkwardly) dance for a minute:



And then they offered us food (because we danced so horribly well), and because of this photo, I realized that one of my eyes goes “lazy” when I eat:


Why did I post this? It’s so nasty.

Well, we all got back to the car, headed home, and got ready to celebrate 3 birthdays. My mother-in-law brought 2 cakes, the girls got some veggies ready, and I grilled a bunch of meat. We had 6 HUGE pork chops, 3 chicken breasts, 2 steaks, 2 tilapia filets, and 2 salmon filets:



What a great end to a long (but fun) day. Congrats to all the finishers! Anyone thinking about running TC next year? Be on the look out for farm animals...

67 comments:

Marcy 1:02 PM, October 06, 2008  

Dude!! I'm SOOO keeping my kids away from you :P Seriously though I have my 4 year old on my lap and she's all into the pics.

Congrats to the Mrs and Borsch. And thanks for the laughs LMAO! You're messed up. I love it!

Charlotte 1:04 PM, October 06, 2008  

Oooh this was great! Loved the race recap! Congrats to Pharmie, Borsch and all of the other finishers!!!

The crossbreeding? priceless.

Aron 1:05 PM, October 06, 2008  

LOL can you guys please come to a race in california?!?! i got to high five the san jose shark yesterday :)

i saw elvis yesterday too :)

Kim 1:14 PM, October 06, 2008  

looks like you guys had a blast yet again!!! you win the prize as the best spectator of all time!

Sun Runner 1:15 PM, October 06, 2008  

Can you guys come down to Detroit in two weeks and do this again? Seriously, every marathon needs a few guys in plush animal costumes cheering people on, and I'm going to need all the motivation I can get as I try for my totally ridiculous (well, maybe) BQ goal.

I have to say your blog makes running look more fun than just about anything else. And that's what it's all about, DAMMIT! FUN!!

chia 1:21 PM, October 06, 2008  

Ha! I should just go run marathons with you people. Maybe I'll actually enjoy my next one LOL!

ncrunner12 1:23 PM, October 06, 2008  

That was great, looks like you guys had a good time. I can tell that if you're running a race or just supporting one you go all out... awesome!

Lily on the Road 1:24 PM, October 06, 2008  

BWAaaaAAAAHHHAAAA, OMFG ;^)

Congrats to the Mrs and Borsch, before I totally crack up!!!

Do you guys do requests? Can you come to Ottawa next May for the Marathon??? LMAO

Gotta Run..... 1:31 PM, October 06, 2008  

You are so freaking FUNNY!!!! I am sure you made a lot of runners laugh just when they needed it most.

Congrats to all who finished. What a great group!

Anonymous,  1:37 PM, October 06, 2008  

if i ever get the guts to run a marathon i hope there is someone HALF as entertaining as you to cheer me on. =)

Renee 1:40 PM, October 06, 2008  

This would be motivation for me to actually run a marathon! Way to go guys!

:) 1:41 PM, October 06, 2008  

Pedophiles...snort.

You guys are the best. What a party!

Anonymous,  1:47 PM, October 06, 2008  

As always the pictures are great. My favorits is of you all at the port a potties.

Congratulations to Pharmie on her 10th and to Borsch.

joyRuN 1:47 PM, October 06, 2008  

HILARIOUS! I'm sure ALL the runners appreciated having you guys out there.

So to add to the requests - how about Philly in November? We've got plenty of street signs for pole-dancing!

Felice Devine 1:48 PM, October 06, 2008  

Gah! That is great! I bet you cheered up a ton of marathoners.

Marlene 1:53 PM, October 06, 2008  

Those pictures are AWESOME! Can you come cheer me on in my next race?? I'm all the way in Toronto, but might be considering a road trip next October....hmmmm!

Mel-2nd Chances 2:04 PM, October 06, 2008  

too funny!!! ROFLMAO congrats to Pharmie and Borsch... those pics are great! glad i didn't have to use the porta-potties after you 3 though!LOL

Formulaic 2:05 PM, October 06, 2008  

Great report!

I am sure that it was huge to have you guys out there. Not just for your friends but for everyone else too.

Glad to see everyone made it.

The one with you guys coming out of the bathroom is framing quality!

Ms. R 2:24 PM, October 06, 2008  

I'm so bummed I didn't see you guys. Looks like you had a good time!

I feel better now that I have seen your wart hole. Wart hole. Ha! Makes me giggle like a little school girl.

TRI TO BE FUNNY 2:38 PM, October 06, 2008  

As always, you always bring new life to every race! Can I fly you to DC to cheer for me in a couple of weeks at Marine Corps???

Sarah 2:42 PM, October 06, 2008  

HILARIOUS! I just can't stop laughing at the expression on the pig's face. Priceless. And I love the homeless sign. Hee.

Darcy Franklin 3:21 PM, October 06, 2008  

Glad I got to see you on the course! As a pacer, it gave me something to talk to my participant about! I told her all about your blog and it provided a nice distraction for her. I am sure that helped her reach her goal. She's heading to Boston baby!

Congrats to Pharmie and Borsch!

By the way, I did see you at 26 but I think you had just gotten there!

Michelle 3:49 PM, October 06, 2008  

This may be my very first comment here and all i can say is your hilarious!!! Congrats to the runners!

Please stop by my blog if you want!!!

http://runningdowndreams.wordpress.com/

Michelle

Anonymous,  4:48 PM, October 06, 2008  

Just found your blog, and laughed my ass off.

Glad you guys had fun.

Mom on the Run 4:58 PM, October 06, 2008  

You guys are awesome!! Can you come to Grand Rapids in two weeks? Just kidding.

Brian 5:23 PM, October 06, 2008  

I'm setting my sights on that race next fall. Looks like you all had fun.

JT 6:04 PM, October 06, 2008  

Congrats to Pharmie & your friend! that looks like a blast :-)

M*J*C 6:25 PM, October 06, 2008  

OMG, I was cracking up!!! I totally hope there are some Farm Animals at my first Marathon, that would be AWESOME!!!
PS - great foot pic in your previous post....we could start a blog of bad foot pictures!

Tracy 6:31 PM, October 06, 2008  

HA! The porta potty and the BBQ shot are too much, sooo funny!

Kim 6:38 PM, October 06, 2008  

AWESOME! You guys look like you had a blast, and I'm sure the runners appreciated the distraction that you guys gave them!!

teacherwoman 8:17 PM, October 06, 2008  

Sounds like a fun time! I love the picture of you pole dancing... it's so you!

CoachLiz 8:26 PM, October 06, 2008  

Congratulations to Pharmie and Borsch!!!

You guys really do outdo yourselves. If you keep this up, people are going to expect fuzzy farm animals to show up to this marathon every year.

Unknown 8:37 PM, October 06, 2008  

You make ever race better...

'nuff said!

Unknown 9:05 PM, October 06, 2008  

You folks know how to spectate a marathon!!

Congrats to Pharmie and Borsch. Kudos to the whole farm group for cheering on the runners!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" 9:08 PM, October 06, 2008  

Oh my good, do you guys look like you are having way too much fun. LOL

Kevin 9:29 PM, October 06, 2008  

Talk about a funny farm! Looks like a great way to cheer on the runners

Jess 9:29 PM, October 06, 2008  

I am now a friad of fence humping chickens. Thanks.

Erin Leigh 10:26 PM, October 06, 2008  

Yeah Pharmie and Borsch!!! Love that you all go to each others races. That makes it so much more than just running.

My favs are the Porta Pot and the Road Work pics.

Chris 3:28 AM, October 07, 2008  

ahahaha! Those pictures in your costumes are hilarious!

Anonymous,  3:45 AM, October 07, 2008  

Thanks for always giving us a good laugh! CONGRATS to the awesome team on another great performance!!

Michelle 5:57 AM, October 07, 2008  

pole dancing and cross breeding....
you never disappoint Steve!

Glaven Q. Heisenberg 6:19 AM, October 07, 2008  

10th marathon!? TENTH?!?!

Hey, man! I don't need you blogging about your first-place finishes and Pharmie's finishing her 10th(!) marathon to make me feel inadequate! I've got this tragically small penis, for that, thank you very much!

Which I think got even smaller reading this post ...

10th!!!

Congrats to all and thanks for another funny blog post!

Fizzgig 8:48 AM, October 07, 2008  

troopers, finishing in the rain! I couldnt hang! awesome pictures!

triguyjt 12:42 PM, October 07, 2008  

congrats to borsch on his first.... awesome..

way to go pharmie on rocking another...

and of course to the farm animals... thanks for the chuckles......

Anonymous,  12:53 PM, October 07, 2008  

Love the costumes! I was the one who yelled during your photo at the end of the race -- Irongirlnyhus's sister (she got a great photo of you all and her pup) -- love your blog, always makes me laugh!

Sarah

Jeff 1:58 PM, October 07, 2008  

You have outdone yourselves as usual.

Ya know, if you ever decide to give up your day job, you'd most certainly qualify for a job as just about any high school mascot.

Eileen Swanson 2:06 PM, October 07, 2008  

Those are some awesome pics ;-) Hilarious. You guys are way too funny! Great post!

E

Rachel 3:38 PM, October 07, 2008  

Oh what a great blog! The farm animals were awesome.

ShirleyPerly 5:32 PM, October 07, 2008  

How fun!!! Now you're making me think that TCM would have been a better choice for my MN marathon. Oh well ...

jen 7:07 PM, October 07, 2008  

Yay, fun race recap!! I love seeing costumed spectators when I run. I bet you made a lot of people's days.

Congrats to Pharmie and Borsch!!

Mendy 8:40 PM, October 07, 2008  

This cracked me up! Enjoyed the pictures. Seriously, so freakin' funny!

sunshine 9:01 PM, October 07, 2008  

OMG - you guys are So. Freaking. Funny.

Can't decide which pic I like the most... think it's tie between the pole dancing chicken and the 3 farm animals exiting the row of port-a-potties.

SewEthel 3:02 AM, October 08, 2008  

Tee hee fab photos. Like Sunshine above my faves are the portaloos (Aussie for port-a-potties i'm guessing) and the pole dancing chick.
WD to the runners!

Ordinarylife 4:58 AM, October 08, 2008  

Awesome!

Congrats to the runners - and well the farm animals.... I don't actually know what to say.

But if you do requests is South Africa too far away???

RunBubbaRun 5:46 AM, October 08, 2008  

You guys/gals should go on tour. Showing up at the presidential debates or making a FarM commercial..

Great job out there being a cheer squad. Glad no farm animals were hurt in the process.

JenC 7:57 AM, October 08, 2008  

Good stuff! Best fans evah!

Aaron 10:48 AM, October 08, 2008  

Haha - that was brilliant!

Unknown 12:52 PM, October 08, 2008  

Love it! My buddies and I wanted to get your okay if we do a spin off version of you "team tighty-whitie" for our relay race this weekend. We go with different shirts.

Viv 3:47 PM, October 08, 2008  

What a cheer crew man! Awesome can I rent you all for my races and birthday parties??

I think it was disturbing a chicken eating chicken?!

WTG Pharmie!!

Judi 5:35 PM, October 08, 2008  

looks so fun!! great pix!!

Tea 12:46 PM, October 09, 2008  

Classic Race Report! The pictures were the best ones yet!

Would you and Pharmie PLEASE come cheer me on on 10/19? ;)

Bigun 6:36 PM, October 09, 2008  

I could be mistaken, but that pig in the porto-potty's got a nice rack!

Triteacher 11:37 AM, October 10, 2008  

Never fails - I smiles when I come here! Love it - the pedophile comment was laugh-out-loud!

Jeff 7:35 AM, October 13, 2008  

Steve -- I needed a picture of a guy in a chicken suit for my blog, so I shamelessly stole one of your pics. Gave you full credit, though. Hope you don't mind.

Jeff

RooBabs 10:02 AM, October 13, 2008  

How generous of you to provide such great comedy to the people you were cheering, as well as all the other racers!! Too funny- love the sign about high five-ing a pig (priceless). = )

You've set the expectation now, you're going to have to do it EVERY year. Ha ha.

Eric 9:45 AM, October 21, 2008  

Looks like a great time. I gotta get one of those chicken suits for the next race I cheer at :-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.