Stop The Presses!!

>> Saturday, January 31, 2009

I’ve done TWO bike workouts in the last 3 days!!

I hardly believe it myself.

Thursday: 1:40 on the trainer. I started off just watching TV. Then I started watching “Mission Impossible 3” on DVD (Borsch lent us a huge bag of DVDs for just this purpose). I didn’t make it all the way through the movie, but 100 minutes on the trainer wasn’t too bad.

My legs were burning and my bum was sore. Time to shower and get to a meeting. Good workout, but mentally draining. I REALLY hope that by mid to late March, the sun will have cleared some local bike paths so I can do my 4 hour rides outside. REALLY hoping!!

Saturday: Brick workout at the Y. Today, I got up at 6:45 (although sleeping in sounded REALLY good!) to get everything ready to go. I planned on hitting the 8-9 am interval spinning class, then heading outside for about a 6 mile run. When I got to the Y, the class was already full with 2 people on the waiting list! But once I set my mind to a workout, it must happen.

I found 3 old spinning bikes in the far back corner of the Y (not in the regular spinning studio). I figured I could make up my own interval workout on the bike. I got changed in the locker room, and I got my running clothes all laid out in my locker so I could get off the bike and out on the run quickly. Here I am all ready to go:


(it’s OK to have a camera in the locker room, right?...)

So here’s the workout I made up (after a 12 minute warm-up of easy-moderate spinning):

• 3 minute intervals with resistance up
• 2 minutes with resistance down, spinning easier
• Repeat 5 times
• Cool down

Partway through my workout, I started thinking that running outside once I was SOAKED THROUGH with sweat maybe wasn’t the smartest idea. So I started keeping my eye on open treadmills - but they were filling up quickly. As I was starting a little cool down, I figured I’d see if I could find an open treadmill and sign up for some time on it. As I walked into the other room, a lady was just getting off her dreadmill. I snatched it up, and cut my spinning workout a little short.

So I signed up for the treadmill, wiped down my sweaty bike, ran to the locker room to change out of my bike shorts, and ran back out to start my run. About 3 minutes after jumping off the bike, I was running on the suckmill. Here’s the treadmill numbers:

• Started: 8.0 mph
• At 10 minutes: 8.5 mph
• At 20 minutes: 9.0 mph
• At 25 minutes: 9.5 mph
• At 30 minutes: 10.0 mph
• At 35 minutes: 10.5 mph

About 90 seconds before speeding up, I started really trying to run easy, smooth, and quiet. That way, when it was time to speed up, I felt like I was running easily, and I was ready for the faster pace. I think that idea worked well. Try it sometime - you’ll be ready to speed up after focusing on running easy for 90 seconds. My first mile was done in 7:30, and I kept speeding up until my 6th mile was done in 5:45.

I finished 6 miles on the treadmill in 40:04 feeling pretty good. And that was after a 45 minute interval ride on a spinning bike. Weekend workout done!

Here I am after I finished:



Compare that to the first photo, and you can kinda tell that my shirt is COMPLETELY soaked through with sweat. I smell nice. Trust me.

Then I headed home and stretched while watching “Saved By The Bell.” Remember when puffy rainbow sleeves were a good look?



Now excuse me, but after a few good workouts on a bike saddle, I need to go put some soothing cream on my taint.

p.s. If you would still like to vote for my blog, please click on the “Vote Now!” badge at the top of my sidebar. Voting closes tonight! Thanks!

p.p.s. The photos from last weekend’s COLD race just came out, so I’ll post those in the next day or 2. There are some good ones!! Check back. Happy weekend!!

28 comments:

GoBigGreen 2:01 PM, January 31, 2009  

As long as you arent in my locker room. My swim mate had her phone taken from her in the lobby near the elevator at the Y! oops.

Good job Steve!
That saturday class is cult like. I think people sleep outside the Y to get in.

Jess 2:27 PM, January 31, 2009  

You mean rainbow puffy sleeves aren't a good look now? Dammit, I'm gonna have to re-think some aspects of my wardrobe.

Nice job on both workouts. Lots of sweat must mean something good!

nwgdc 2:35 PM, January 31, 2009  

Dude, that's the same picture. Even the same hairs are sticking up along your part.
Are you sure you worked out at the Y?

Steve Stenzel 2:41 PM, January 31, 2009  

Oops, thanks nwgdc - NOW it's the real 2 pictures...

Alisa 2:48 PM, January 31, 2009  

Dude...I used to LOVE Saved by the Bell! Are the re-runs still on? Wow!

Great work on the two'fer today!

Lisa T 2:50 PM, January 31, 2009  

Thanks for the definition. I knew what one was, but never knew the purpose. Good to know, good to know.

Trishie 2:56 PM, January 31, 2009  

Woot for streching during SBTL reruns ;) great workout, sias!

Kelly 3:00 PM, January 31, 2009  

I have NO idea how you can ride on your trainer for 100 minutes. I usually give up after 20 or 30!

At my Y, there is a sign that says no cameras or camera phones allowed. SHAME on you!

nwgdc 3:32 PM, January 31, 2009  

Ahh much better! All you're missing is an eye patch. And the leather coat. Outside of that, you look pretty much the same as the 'Hoff!

I'll be in TC in October. I'm making the midwest rounds...first Chicago, last year Milwaukee, this year TC. I can't wait for the Chicken Suit!

Calyx Meredith 4:13 PM, January 31, 2009  

Was catching up from the past couple of days and started reading about the brouhaha with wellsphere and some other bloggers. I'm not totally sure I understand it - but that's the only reason I didn't trot over to vote for you. I hope you know I think your blog rocks!

LHE 6:10 PM, January 31, 2009  

And I was so happy when I dreadmilled 5.5 in 60-minutes :(. Big looong sigh! I do not remember rainbow puffy sleeves but I do remember rainbow leg warmers.

Michelle 6:59 PM, January 31, 2009  

EWWWWWWW on the taint!!!

But great great workout dude!!!

Keep it going!!!

Again EWWWWWWWWW!!!!

jen 7:12 PM, January 31, 2009  

Great job on the bike workouts!

Lisa Turtle rocked the puffy sleeves.

Marit C-L 7:47 PM, January 31, 2009  

Um - I've totally used those spin bikes in the back corner. Do they still have cobwebs on them?? Last May when I was home, I managed a workout or two on them. Way to go with the brick - super! And who could forget those puffed sleeves. Fantastic. :)

Kevin 9:18 PM, January 31, 2009  

Sign up for the dreadmill?? That really sux

Marathon Maritza 10:05 PM, January 31, 2009  

So I'd never heard that word before and clicked on the urbandictionary definition link you posted.....EW! TMI, Steve, T...M....I!

LOL

CoachLiz 11:13 PM, January 31, 2009  

Good idea for running indoors. I think that you would have froze like Willie Coyote in that running stance if you would have tried to venture outside.

Casey 12:44 AM, February 01, 2009  

I don't like seeing a photo of Lisa Turtle rockin' the sleeves and then seeing the word "taint" below.

I'm so excited, I'm so excited
I'm so...scared...

Shannon 8:12 AM, February 01, 2009  

"Taint" seriously, did I actually click on that? At least it wasn't a picture of you actually putting your cream on.

Puffy sleeves and big hair were soooooo in.

Unknown 8:20 AM, February 01, 2009  

I will vote for you if you post your findings of the Cozumel IM course!!! :)

My Life 11:36 AM, February 01, 2009  

Nice push on that brick. Hope your taint is feeling better... *gag*

My best friend wore the rainbow sleeve dress to our junior prom. She was the coolest girl there, hands down.

Anonymous,  12:10 PM, February 01, 2009  

I gathered that Mr. Borsch was something of a movie buff. I just saw Billy Wilder's "Ace in the Hole," so there.

I think you could do IRONMAN: THE MOVIE. It would be a cross between "Christmas in July," and "Desperate Living" or "Mondo Trasho"....

The last pictures were O.K., but I'm not into wet T-Shirt Contests.... I prefer Cat-Lick Patterns, Gross Foot Photos, Nasal Rockets, etc.....

De Gustibus....

I hope you pursue you plan, and run a series on "Why I Run." Maybe Drymax would sponsor it. You could award socks for prizes, and autograph them!

I'd like mine used, please. (Now THAT'S gross!)

triguyjt 3:32 PM, February 01, 2009  

its cool how you improvised...and I agree with Borsch...

Probably can't do the cam thing in a lockeroom... but what the hell

Carolina John 9:32 AM, February 02, 2009  

do a quick youtube search for a product called dz nuts. it's a bike chamois cream put out by a pro biker dave zem...something. he's got a hilarious taint-inspired commercial on youtube.

nice job on the brick! great workout.

The Boring Runner 9:39 AM, February 02, 2009  

Ha, I was going to post a comment a while back when you posted a picture in the locker room. Hey, as long as you don't have any floppy old man wang in the pics, I'm fine with it.

sRod 7:31 PM, February 11, 2009  

Huge difference between those two pictures. Can't enough muster a smiel for the second? Nice work.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.