The Big News...

>> Wednesday, February 11, 2009

No, Pharmie isn’t pregnant.

No, I’m not pregnant.

No, we’re not getting a parrot (but good guess, Sarah).

Pretty much on a whim, I decided to sign up for a half marathon THIS Sunday. I’m still looking for that PR!



This conjures up mixed emotions. There’s some good news, some bad news, and some neutral news:


The Good News:

• I’m still in pretty good shape after training for the Winter Carnival Half Marathon (which was shortened to a 10.25K because of the cold) a few weeks ago.

• It’s supposed to be around 20 degrees for the race: GREAT winter running weather.

• It’s a cheap race. I just dropped $25 on this race.

• I’m heading to the race myself, which means I can be SUPER early. I’m paranoid on race mornings. There are those people that get to a race on time, those that have plenty of time, those that are really early, and then those that are me. I might wake up at 4 am and decided to hit the road. When I race alone, no one else has to suffer through my paranoia.


The Bad News:

• I’m not in QUITE as good of shape as I was 3 weeks ago. I focused all of my training to be in great shape for the half marathon 3 weeks ago. After that (as I had promised myself), I started swimming and biking a lot more, because that April 5th Half Ironman is just around the corner! So my running has worsened, but I’ve gotten in better shape for a triathlon. Here, I made a chart:



(So even though my running is a little worse, I hope my improved “tri fitness” will carry me through. Oh, and because I made you suffer through that boring chart above, here’s a fun chart that made me giggle:)



• The course is really “loopy,” and I prefer an “out-and-back” race. Here’s the map of Sunday’s race:



(The race goes out, turns south, turns around back north, loops around that little lake TWICE, heads back south [right past the FINISH LINE at mile 10!], then turns back to the north.)


The Neutral News:

• We’ve had melting temps for the last 2 days. That means the course SHOULD be clear of packed snow. But it also means that there could be rivers of melting ice/snow that have re-froze on the trail. Those of you in similar climates know what I’m talking about (and how much that sucks).

• It’s going to be a small race: maybe 100-200 runners. Usually that’s good news (if I’m looking to place well). But here, I’m just looking to PR, so I want to have a good-sized group out in front of me to pull me. I’m not sure what kind of runners will be there.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So I’m going to take it easy the rest of the week and call that a “taper.” Then, I’ll hope to bang out a PR at the half marathon. I won’t be crushed if I don’t PR, but I’ll really be shooting for a speedy race. I’ll be pushing hard through mile 6-9, and I hope I won’t crash and burn at mile 11. Here’s to hoping!!....

43 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances 10:19 AM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck on your race, and go get that PR! :)

Amy 10:22 AM, February 11, 2009  

Glad you didn't give up on your 1/2 marathon PR goal. GOOD LUCK! $25 is a steal too!

Anonymous,  11:35 AM, February 11, 2009  

Not even the cats, preggers? Now I'm really depressed, and I just know you've got a big private stash of GROSS FOOT PHOTOS that you're keeping to yourself....

MISER! SKINFLINT! SCROOGE!

(Just wait till I find my THESAURUS!)

X-Country2 12:07 PM, February 11, 2009  

Sounds like a good race and hopefully the weather stays nice. Good luck!

tribeaner 12:17 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck in your race! Hey, when are you going to give us that preview of the Ironman Cozumel course?? We need SUNNY pictures!!

trimybest 2:05 PM, February 11, 2009  

good luck on your attempt. dont get lost on that crazy course!

Unknown 2:31 PM, February 11, 2009  

I think it was $25 well spent (although I guess we'll see when the race comes right?)

Being from Ohio, I totally understand the refreeze - right now it's 60 degrees and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 30's. We get it a lot!

LOVE the stud finder graph... totally something my husband would do!

joyRuN 3:45 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck with the race!

Jess 3:48 PM, February 11, 2009  

$25 for a race is a steal! However, in my HM experience, I have found that you get your money's worth, so I hope the course is good and the event is well-prepared.

Good luck as you prepare to (most certainly) PR!

Aron 3:50 PM, February 11, 2009  

i think you are going to do GREAT!!!! good luck!

i am the same way on race morning... crazy paranoid :)

sRod 4:03 PM, February 11, 2009  

Have fun! I'll be doing 13 miles down a slushy ski slope this weekend.

Michelle 4:32 PM, February 11, 2009  

Your running has worsened??????

Dude?


NO!!!!

With that said, GOOD LUCK!!! You are so going to PR!!!!!

Chic Runner 4:43 PM, February 11, 2009  

dang steve, how could you get our hopes up? Well you're pretty loopy so therefore you'll get along great with this course. This is so something I would do, sign up for a half in two days. You'll kill it though, and I'm looking forward to a race report with some PR in there!

Carly 4:59 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck! The weather is awesome for a half marathon. It is a heck of deal too.

Kelly 5:09 PM, February 11, 2009  

You are a liar! You said it was PERSONAL news... this is training-related news.

And out-and-back races are boring. That's right... I'm just gonna keep the blows coming!

nwgdc 5:10 PM, February 11, 2009  

Kinda a mean trick to play about the "big news"...

you better damn well run fast, take pictures, write well. At that point you will be forgiven.

Carolina John 5:28 PM, February 11, 2009  

You go get that pr, boy!

since you're tapering, watch gray's anatomy tomorrow night. you're comfortable enough in your manhood to admit when doctors are too good-looking. but my brother sold them a song called Happy Ending that is airing on tomorrow's episode. it's the second time they have bought one of his songs, and it's really cool.

t-odd 5:36 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck. I have such a hard time doing a "last minute" race. It should be a good weekend for it. I hope you don't have to deal with the rivers of slush and/of black ice, because I DO know how bad that sucks.

teacherwoman 5:42 PM, February 11, 2009  

How exciting! I think you are going to do awesome! Good luck!

Casey 6:13 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck! Way to be spontaneous!

Shannon 6:41 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck, don't slip and bust your arse!

Lindsay 6:58 PM, February 11, 2009  

25 bucks - nice! good luck!! personally i thought the fitness-graph was great. i can't even imagine what kind of data you track to quantify your fitness so well.

Chloe 8:33 PM, February 11, 2009  

I'm super paranoid on race mornings as well. For Disney - was I stressed about the 26.2 miles I was about to run? No - I was more paranoid about parking and finding my car after the race. Don't EVEN get me started about triathon mornings!

Good luck on the race! You'll totally rock it out :)

Good luck!!

RunningLaur 8:37 PM, February 11, 2009  

the graphs are great. Good luck!

akshaye 10:19 PM, February 11, 2009  

Good luck with the race and getting that PR. $25 is really cheap for a half.

Sarah 11:06 PM, February 11, 2009  

Dang - I was sooooo close! Ur, no I wasn't. Good luck at the race!!!

mthead 11:38 PM, February 11, 2009  

i thought maybe you'd found what had died inside you :)

Anonymous,  11:58 PM, February 11, 2009  

I agree with the tenor of these blogs, that you've been manipulating your public....

Jerking us around, in other words....

Nightly Business Report has better graphs, and certainly NOT MORE BORING (Yawn!)....

In the context, that STUD DETECTOR seems painfully ironic. I bet you returned yours to COSTCO, thinking it was DEFECTIVE! Ha!

You have some MAJOR making up to do....

BIG TIME!

Dori 12:56 AM, February 12, 2009  

You can do it! Hopefully, the route will be cleared. It's not like it's London--Minnesotan's know how to deal with snow.

Ryan 5:58 AM, February 12, 2009  

My stud finder has a laser level in it, so when it beeps I look to see if my nipples are level.

Gabriel Losa 6:27 AM, February 12, 2009  

Hey, good luck with that race!

Like one of your readers said some time ago... PR that bitch!

Saludos desde Argentina!

Jess 7:21 AM, February 12, 2009  

For $25 I might have signed up for that race, bum knee and all lol!

Kick some butt this weekend!

JenC 8:42 AM, February 12, 2009  

Have to say that pregnancy passed through my mind as well. However, this is just as good. I'm sure you will be great!

Unknown 9:57 AM, February 12, 2009  

Sign up for HI on a whim. That's crazy talk. Good luck with the PR. I'm sure I'll love the race report.

Renee 10:29 AM, February 12, 2009  

I am disappointed you are not pregnant because I am sure the pictures from that would have been great! Good luck on the race!

CoachLiz 11:18 AM, February 12, 2009  

Don't make the fatal mistake of running only one or (God forbid) three loops around that lake and miss your PR. I'm sure that we will see your name in the top 25 finishers. If it is as small as you say, possibly even higher.

Good Luck this weekend!

RooBabs 2:37 PM, February 12, 2009  

Wow, $25, that is a bargain. My half last month was only $35, and I thought that was a steal. You're probably right about the get what you pay for. I did not get any kind of technical tee out of the deal- just a sweatshirt, which isn't bad- and my medal was pretty wussy (but since it's my first, I love it just as much as if it was bigger and fancier).

That course looks a little crazy, but they probably save money by having the water stops overlap like that. Anyway, have fun with the race and good luck with your PR! I used to date a guy who lived (lives?) in Rochester, but I've never been there. Can't wait to hear all about it. = )

ShirleyPerly 2:49 PM, February 12, 2009  

Good luck on your half, Steve. $25 is a steal!

Alisa 4:42 PM, February 12, 2009  

Haha a parrot...that was a good guess!


Lots of luck on the half. You know you'll kick the pants off most of the peeps in the race.

$25---sweet!

RBR 7:51 PM, February 13, 2009  

Totally late on this but

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE A GREAT RACE!

I am still shaking my head that 20 is considered warm in your parts.

(For the record "your parts" is referring to Minnesota NOT your "man parts". Sheesh! You are so 12!)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.