New Gear! (Good News 2 of 3)

>> Thursday, February 19, 2009

I received an e-mail out of the blue about 10 days ago. It started with nice things about my sense of humor and all the photos I post. Then it went on to say this:

...At any rate, I'm in the business of running and triathlon as a tiny online retailer. Each spring I close out last year's stuff. I'd love to send you some stuff if I have any in your size.

I didn't want to post this on your blog. Might get a few others who'd like to tag along. I'm guessing you’re a medium. Based on some of your run times, you'd be a freak if you’re a large. Let me know your short and top sizes and a shipping address and we'll see what we can come up with.

And there's no catch, really. You devote a lot of time and energy to promoting a healthy lifestyle, and I'm hoping I'll be able to use your example as inspiration to some of my audience. Who by the way are terrified of triathlon.

And if you want a warm place to visit in the winter (I saw that January 29 10.25K race recap - that's inconceivable!), we've got room for you and Pharmie.

God Bless!
Chris Hughes

Holy cats! What’s with my luck these days?!? This nice man just wants to send me stuff? GREAT!! A few days later, a box showed up that contained a few fun things!

• 3 packages (6 servings) of a homemade recovery drink called “Monkey Shake:”



• A nice BOA technical shirt:



• A sweet pair of DeSoto running shorts:



• And finally, the sweetest thing of all, a DeSoto zip-up tri jersey:



This is my VERY FIRST tri jersey!! I’m not much on paying for sweet technical gear (note how I ran the half marathon on Sunday in a cotton hoodie and fleece mittens), and I can’t wait to try this out!!

Chris mentioned there was “no catch,” but I want to let you all know about his running/triathlon company, and HOPEFULLY send some business his way! His website is called 10:10 Wellness, and his mission statement is simple:

The mission of 10:10 Wellness is to lead people into healthy lifestyles and activities they can get excited about. This mission is supported by our four core values: encouragement, participation, fun, and study.

We achieve the mission when we help others (family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.) commit to an ongoing wellness program. We define wellness as the proactive pursuit of products, services, and activities that make you feel healthier and look better, that slow the effects of aging, and that prevent diseases from developing.

So swing by and check out his site. He’s got a small store of stuff for sale, some links to basic training programs, and a training blog too. (And FYI, new triathlon apparel is coming soon - all the 2008 stuff has just been moved to the “close-out” section.) So go check it out! Tell him Steve in a Speedo sent you!

Thanks for the goodies, Chris!! I’ll put them all to use!

I’ll be back tomorrow with a Friday Funny. Saturday I’ll have a post from a long run with Pharmie and Rural Girl (hopefully! - Rural Girl is coming to town and hoping to fit in a run with us!). Sunday evening I’ll have a post about a CRAZY workout a few of us hope to do. So that means I’ll be back with the last (and best) piece of good news on Monday!

38 comments:

Dori 1:29 AM, February 19, 2009  

That's a great looking shirt! How nice that you're getting showered with gifts!

Ryan 5:28 AM, February 19, 2009  

If those shorts are not transparent when wet...get rid of them!

We love a "bowl full of sunshine!"

Shannon 5:28 AM, February 19, 2009  

I'm so jealous of all your goodies!

Hopefully someone will read my comments and send me a note about how much I love muscle milk, sport beans, asics, dry wick clothing, and Matthew McConaughey. I'll be willing to give my reviews of any new products they might find my interest in.

I have no shame.....

Anonymous,  5:36 AM, February 19, 2009  

Im not even a true runner and Im jealous.

QUITE.

Steve Stenzel 7:06 AM, February 19, 2009  

Shannon - You're "Matthew McConaughey" comment is great! Good luck!! Let me know if that works out for you...

;)

Michelle 7:12 AM, February 19, 2009  

Thats great Steve!!!

You sooo deserve it and more!!!

Diana 7:33 AM, February 19, 2009  

WOW, what a streak of freebies for you lately! I sure hope someone heads over to my blog and sends me some free psych help!!!
Clothes look awesome...I like that tri shirt!

Iron Girl Nyhus 7:54 AM, February 19, 2009  

Way to go Steve! You are just so popular :)

How far is your long run on Saturday???? I have a long run too... are you doing treadmill or outside?

Laura

Trophy Wife 8:27 AM, February 19, 2009  

That was tricky Steve. I thought we were gonna get BOTH pieces of good news today! Now I gotta wait until Monday and I'm just not sure I'll make it! :)

Well deserved on the free stuff, he's right that you're promoting a healthy lifestyle and you do it without really even trying.

b 8:32 AM, February 19, 2009  

It looks like Christmas once again for Steve :-) well deserved!

Carolina John 9:56 AM, February 19, 2009  

freakin sweet! that's a great tri jersey. i've also never sprung for a tri suit. it does look like he's got a neat store too.

X-Country2 10:05 AM, February 19, 2009  

I love the zip up blue tri jersery!
Cute stuff.

PS- you need to go buy a lottery ticket. Right now.

tfh 10:13 AM, February 19, 2009  

Cool! Now I want to make my own Monkey shake. It looks so convenient!

Renee 10:15 AM, February 19, 2009  

You need to do a review of the monkey shake! It sounds good!

Anonymous,  10:26 AM, February 19, 2009  

FROM WHORE TO COURTESAN: THE "PROGRESS" OF A SUPERSTAR

Soon you won't run to the corner store unless it's in your latest "complementary" gold lame (pron. "LAMAY" - my computer won't do French)jumper suit brought to you by hypocrites trying to commodify running in the name of "wellness."

There's nothing wrong with making money, but don't try to harness it to "wellness" or life-style issues - when it's just narcissism.

Your SPONSORS notwithstanding (hey guys, are you finally reading something?), I think you should acknowledge that nobody needs this shit to run in (and SHIT is what it is). I wouldn't want these folks (or any folks, for that matter) using anything of mine (name, likeness, life-story) to sell it, especially this way.

I know, Johnny's an old bore. You're just having fun, right?

Sure, baby. I always knew you'd go far....

Marlene 10:39 AM, February 19, 2009  

Cool, enjoy your free goodies!

Steve Stenzel 10:50 AM, February 19, 2009  

Jon in Hogtown -

I don't know how it's narcissistic to be sent something out of the blue and then to WANT to give the company a little shout-out because you agree with their ideals. No, we don't NEED these things - I pointed out in this post that I just ran a half marathon in a cotton hoodie and fleece mittens. But a better equipment CAN make you a better athlete. Go try to do a triathlon on a $50 Huffy. Then try it on a $3000 QR and tell me there's no difference. And even if you're not concerned about being faster, if you have better equipment you'll be more comfortable and you'll be more likely to workout and stay healthy. And that's always worth it.

I contemplated deleting your rant. I decided not to in the name of "free speech" (I know, that totally sounds lame). You have your right to your opinion. I DO understand the issue of commodifying running or triathlons. I think we've all seen that happen. But when you attack a man and his wife you set up 10:10 Wellness (named so because of their favorite Bible verse) without obviously having gone to their website, well, that's more than just questionable.

RooBabs 11:40 AM, February 19, 2009  

Gosh, Lucky!! (said in Napoleon Dynamite voice).

Actually, I'd be a bit nervous about the monkey shake. You'll have to update us once you try it.

The best part of the whole thing, though? In his email, Chris mentions that he purposely didn't post it on your blog to avoid tag-a-longs, and then you go and post his email right on the front page of your blog. Ha ha!

Sounds like a great company, though, and I'm all for supporting the little guy- especially in these tough times.

George Houston 12:43 PM, February 19, 2009  

Congrats on the new gear!

I posted up the answers to your interview on my blog.

Chad 12:47 PM, February 19, 2009  

Nice!!! I've received a few things through blogging in exchange for writing a review. I got a 30-day supply of Accelerade, a nice pair of earphones, some detergent, a running book, and most recently a free pair of New Balance. I think this tops them all combined.

Unknown 12:49 PM, February 19, 2009  

Sweet gear! I need to figure out how you do it.

Unknown 1:09 PM, February 19, 2009  

Lucky dog! lucky dog! you are such a lucky dog!. Congrats on having a site that attracts attention of the corporate world. It shows your willingness to spread your wisdom through your experiences to all freely can be a good thing. Not to sound corny, but good things come to good people.

Steve - you are good people.

Kin 1:53 PM, February 19, 2009  

I would be happy to promote products, gear, and equipment for the "you'd be a freak if you’re a large" back of the pack people got money too crowd.

Petraruns 2:41 PM, February 19, 2009  

Wow - just found your blog and then fell straight into this one. All I thought when I read was - what a nice guy this Chris Hughes is and what a great thing to do. And how nice it was of you to to highlight this. You know - all in all the kind of stuff that warms the cockles (cockels?) of your heart when the whole world is sitting around being depressed and ungenerous...

It doesn't commodify you or your blog at all. What a ridiculous comment. I'm the parent of an 8 year old and a 6 year old and I would say I could spot a green eyed monster out there...

Bill Carter 3:27 PM, February 19, 2009  

Hi Steve

You read stuff like this and realize that there really are nice people in the world.

Checked out his site and thought it was pretty cool.

Good luck with your training.

Runner Leana 4:20 PM, February 19, 2009  

Wow, that is really neat!

Boy, how do I get people to send me free stuff?

Judi 4:28 PM, February 19, 2009  

pimpin' the blog. :)

Herself, the GeekGirl 5:46 PM, February 19, 2009  

I don't know what's in "Monkey Shake," but I want some. Just so I can say, "Mmmm, that there is some good Monkey Shake."

Lindsay 7:00 PM, February 19, 2009  

dear people with cool stuff reading steve's blog - HELLO i am here. you don't have to wait anymore, just start sending me stuff. thanks!

awesome hookups dude! i'm curious about the monkey shake too!

The Boring Runner 8:24 PM, February 19, 2009  

Nice! I know that this blogging gig takes a lot of time, so you might as well get some rewards. I too run in pretty much whatever is clean (enough) to run in. I've done 12 miles in pajama pants. :)


PS, what flew up Hogtown's ass? Simmer down dude - it is just a bit of free stuff. Now, if surprise #3 is a new car, THEN we'll talk ;)

Anniversary Moments 11:49 PM, February 19, 2009  

now that's some good karma - you deserve it, you put a lot of time into promoting the sport, sharing your interests and other fun & random facts on this here old internet -- i quite frankly am a little aggravated with hogtown for trying to put a negative spin on it all.

Maggs 2:32 AM, February 21, 2009  

Free stuff is awesome. Can't wait to hear what #3 is.

sRod 7:21 AM, February 21, 2009  

That's it. I definitely need to get snot pictures and bloody feet on my blog stat.

Deniel Hopkins 8:18 AM, April 14, 2009  

fantastic :)
keep tri-ing :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.