First CVA Triathlon Club Meeting!

>> Monday, May 11, 2009

Guess what happened on Thursday? Guess!! Well, maybe the title gives something away. On Thursday, we held the first official “College of Visual Arts Triathlon Club" Meeting!

There were 13 students that showed up, along with 4 more that contacted me who are interested but couldn’t make the first meeting. Of the 17 total students, 8-10 of them are interested in doing a sprint triathlon. There’s one or 2 students that want to train for a half-marathon, a few that want to do a triathlon as a team (we may end up with 1 or 2 teams of 3), and a few that just might come and workout with us over the summer. I’m so excited for this!

We started the meeting off right - we got a keg:



...of ROOT BEER! Yeah, I’m not THAT kind of coach. (Actually, there was a BBQ for the graduating seniors, and they had extra root beer, so they hauled it over to our meeting.)

Here are some students filling in before we started the meeting:



I gave out a 3 page handout (nerd) and showed a 30 slide PowerPoint (SUPER nerd) and we talked about what we’d be doing over the next 12 weeks to get ready for a sprint triathlon. During the meeting, I couldn’t tell if I was overwhelming them or getting them excited about training. But when everyone was standing around afterwards, I kept hearing, “I just feel like going for a run!” or “Man, now I want to dust of my bike and go for a long ride!” I think they’re PUMPED!! Here were a few of them standing around afterwards:



So we’re all meeting on Wednesday morning for our first group workout: a warm up, some stretching, a 2+ mile run, and discussion of training plans. Pharmie and I were flipping through our triathlon books last night, and I think she found our training plan: we’re going to use Michael Finch’s book Triathlon Training. They have a basic 11 week sprint triathlon plan. (The bike is a little short compared to the race we’re doing, so I think we’ll supplement our bike workouts with Finch’s Olympic distance training plans.)

We’ll see what this summer brings! OK, off to work on our porch remodel.

p.s. Oh, and don’t forget: “Team Happy Pants” is reuniting for the first time this year to go for the gold at the Gear West Duathlon this Sunday. Again, like last week, I’ll be concentrating on getting some solid run workouts in!

19 comments:

X-Country2 9:13 AM, May 11, 2009  

Dang, just reading that got me excited for the tri I'm doing some day. :o)

Way to go, Coach!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 9:20 AM, May 11, 2009  

Very, very cool stuff Steve!!! Cool that your taking your triathlon stuff to another level...encouraging others. Good show.

Cheers

P.S.
they make kegs of root beer? awesome!

Calyx Meredith 9:27 AM, May 11, 2009  

What a great turn-out for a brand new club! Seems like your talent and enthusiasm would be a perfect and fun introduction to triathlon for those guys. Have a great time with it!

K 10:11 AM, May 11, 2009  

Awesome that you are encouraging others. Oh, and I can't WAIT for the 'team happy pants' reunion.

Mike 11:09 AM, May 11, 2009  

You should get them out to an event ASAP! That will get them pumped for sure!

Irish Cream 11:14 AM, May 11, 2009  

I think it is SERIOUSLY awesome that you started this club for your students! In fact, I'm a little jealous of them for getting to have you as their coach!

Oh, and go Team Happy Pants! Wooooo! You can do it! :)

Anonymous,  11:28 AM, May 11, 2009  

That's awesome! Coaching is so fun... and I know the students are going to benefit. Way to go!

Missy 11:31 AM, May 11, 2009  

That rocks! I'm sure that's also a reflection on you, though. How fun.

Jeff 11:52 AM, May 11, 2009  

That guy in the white shirt with blue sleeve must really be psyched -- he's wearing a time trial helmet!

Maria 11:58 AM, May 11, 2009  

congrats on the awesome first meeting! you'll make a great coach and i know it will be an awesome first experience for everyone!

Mel 7:19 PM, May 11, 2009  

Aw, I want to join!!! They are going to have such a blast with you as a coach!!!

GoBigGreen 8:47 PM, May 11, 2009  

Good for you! Recruiting newbies is fun. see you sunday:) I have never done GW but i know it is HARD!

Unknown 10:22 PM, May 11, 2009  

You have to to be coolest coach ever to have beer at the initial meeting.

Brooke 8:03 AM, May 12, 2009  

wow. that's so exciting! but I have to say, I bet that 17 students would have been 34 (or more) if that keg was beer! Ha ha!

Run For Life 2:48 PM, May 12, 2009  

That's awesome! I bet you'll all have a great time. :)

RoadBunner 6:44 PM, May 12, 2009  

This sounds totally awesome! I'm sure you and the students will have a lot of fun with this!

Michelle 8:18 PM, May 12, 2009  

You are Mr. Awesome Nerd and I love it!!

Very inspiring. I wish I was in your club!!!

sRod 9:27 AM, May 22, 2009  

Look at you inspiring the masses.

I've actually talked to people at work about starting a tri team (you know I would never do the whole thing on my own) and it looks like I might get some peoples together.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.