I’m Not Good About Commuting on my Bike

>> Thursday, August 06, 2009

...but yesterday I was forced to.

I got ready for class yesterday and headed out to my car. It was dead. It had been starting harder over the last week, and now it was completely dead. So I hopped on my “commuter” bike (a Specialized Hardrock Sport mountain bike with thinner tires) in my pants and button-up shirt, and booked it into Minneapolis. After class, I biked home, changed into athletic clothes, grabbed Goldilocks (my tri bike), and biked to the Y for a swim.

Matt (who you can see a lot of in my previous post) came over last night to run with Pharmie, and he helped diagnosed the problem: it wasn’t the starter; it wasn’t the alternator; it was my battery. My battery was completely dead. So after their run, he helped change my battery. And by “helped,” I mean “he changed my battery as I played with a ratchet.”

Biking was the LAST thing I wanted to do yesterday, being I had my first Time Trial the night before (see previous post), but I did everything I needed to yesterday, AND biked 22 unnecessary miles on top of that.

Off to work. Let’s hope my car starts!...

(Update: I'm at work and my car is running great! Thanks Matt!)

18 comments:

Lindsay 10:55 AM, August 06, 2009  

good thing your boyfriend is so good to you! :) glad it wasn't a major issue and easily fixed.

Diana 11:10 AM, August 06, 2009  

Last weekend my car started to just sputer and sputer at intersections. Turns out the trained {{sarcasm}}professionals at the oil change place forgot to hook up something from the air filter to the engine. Jerks! Hate car trouble-glad you're back on the road with 4 wheels!!

Tri-James 11:13 AM, August 06, 2009  

AND biked 22 unnecessary miles is there such a thing as garbage cycling miles?

Missy 11:20 AM, August 06, 2009  

It's good for you after a TT ride...help get the junk outta your legs when you don't wanna!

Steve Stenzel 11:44 AM, August 06, 2009  

James, I've started to not like biking, so yes, there IS such a thing! ;)

And Missy - I know. You're right. I just really didn't wanna!

Alisa 12:00 PM, August 06, 2009  

My hubs and I are a one car household and he is taking the car to California for 14 days, I may try my hand at bike commuting. I'm a little nervous since I live in holy hills land!

Unknown 12:50 PM, August 06, 2009  

I know it's cheating, but I put an electric hub and a battery on my mountain bike. It zips along about 20 mph when I'm not pedalling. I can make it to work without breaking into a sweat. It's way more fun than driving my car to work. Less than 3 cents for a 10 mile round trip.

I'm pretty sure that the car people hate me, because I'm on their precious roads and the bikers hate me, because I'm cheating.:-)

Anonymous,  1:35 PM, August 06, 2009  

Goldilocks? So who's the THREE BARES? So sick....

B.o.B. 1:35 PM, August 06, 2009  

Well I guess Matt went to man school and then some. ;)

Glad you got your car working.

Danica 2:00 PM, August 06, 2009  

Glad the car is up and running again :) That's pretty scary about biking to work. I would never do that, but the only bike you'd ever catch me on is a beach cruiser..... :)

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 2:19 PM, August 06, 2009  

Why the lack of love for the cylcling Steve? I'm not a huge fan of cycling solo, but in a group or with a pal,its the bee knees for sure. I have never learned to love swimming though...thats my weakness (and greek yogurt).

Jess 2:59 PM, August 06, 2009  

Well, now you have a fresh new battery before winter!

Carolina John 4:28 PM, August 06, 2009  

car trouble is the worst steve. just abandon it and bike everywhere!

X-Country2 4:42 PM, August 06, 2009  

Ah Bromance. Better hang onto that one. He sounds like a keeper!

teacherwoman 6:54 PM, August 06, 2009  

Glad it was just the battery!

Kevin 8:32 PM, August 06, 2009  

Good to hear it was only the battery. At least you live close enough to ride your bike.

CoachLiz 10:12 PM, August 06, 2009  

No love of the bike??? Could it be that you are not seeing the improvements in bike speed like you are seeing in your running speed? Stick with it. Remember, there are never unnecessary miles on the bike. You could have been without a car and without a bike. Look on the bright side. :)

Sam 11:02 PM, August 06, 2009  

NICE!!

Love commuting around on bike.....hard here in the summer because of the temps.

:))

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.