Starting Back Up!

>> Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thursday was my last day of self-prescribed rest. But Wednesday, Mother Nature took a dump all over my chest (as seen in the post 2 posts down). So I wasn’t in the mood to run outside on top of all that fresh white crap.

Friday: Lift weights and little core. I took it easy on the weights. I used a little lighter weight than usual, and I did 1 less set than normal for everything - I didn’t want to be super sore the next day, and I didn’t know what “14 days of nothing” really took out of me. Turns out, I was a little sore on Saturday, but not bad. Good “starter” workout.

Saturday: EASY run of unknown distance. It was going to be my first “training run” in about 4 weeks! (And my first run since the indoor triathlon nearly 3 weeks ago.) I purposely picked a route that I didn’t know very well, so I would have no idea where the mile markers were; I’d just be running.

It was chilly, but still a great evening for a run in MN in December:



I thought I’d try out a new top: the GoLite DriMove BL-3 Longsleeve Zip. I put it on, and I noticed 2 good things: it was WARM (and soft and cozy), and it had a zipper. Those are 2 important things for winter running apparel. It needs to be warm (for obvious reasons), but there also needs to be a way to cool down in case you warm up too much. Here I am after putting it on for the first time:



Here’s what it actually looks like when it’s not on a goof-ball trying to take his own photo:



I did NOT wear my YakTrax even though I knew there was going to be packed snow. YakTrax means traction, traction means speed, and I just needed to take it easy (or so the reasoning went in my head). I headed towards the Mississippi. Here I am running along the river with the sun setting in the west:



A few minutes later, I came upon this guy who had lost control and taken out a light pole:


Can’t you see the sign laying on the ground in front of your van that says “No Parking?!” Ha! I kid.

The path wasn’t in bad shape. I wasn’t sliding around too much. Here’s what it looked like heading down the hill to the Mpls / St. Paul boarder:



I turned around right at 20:00. I had no idea how far from home I was. I FORCED myself to keep it easy and not pick up the pace too much. I made it back home in 39:51. My glasses fogged up as soon as I stopped:



I mapped out the run later. It turns out I ran 5.3 miles, so that’s 7:31 / mile. Nice, easy run in great running weather! Oh, and the top kept me PLENTY warm! I’ll actually reserve it for sub-0 runs I think. It's thicker and warmer than it looks.

Oh, and here’s a funny side note: Friday, a box came from Amazon.com. I forgot what I had ordered, so it was like Christmas when I was opening it up. Once I opened it, I realized it was the order that Pharmie wanted me to make for her:



Yep, that’s 6 boxes of bikini wax. NOT for me. The BEST part was when I looked at the packing slip. Amazon had made a mistake. We had a packing slip that was for Timothy S of Connecticut. He had ordered “Gladiator” on Blu-Ray and 3 nice headphones totaling $158.15. Timothy S is in for a SHOCK when he sees that his packing slip is for 6 boxes of bikini wax!! Ha! Explain THAT to your wife, Timothy! ;)

9 comments:

Jim Smith II 7:45 AM, December 13, 2009  

Reading - Oh, Steve's running again...
Reading - Ooo, looks cold in MN...
Reading - Nice jacket, could be good to get one of those...
Reading - Great pace...
Read...Spitting out my coffee! Holy Shite that was funny. Poor Timothy...

Velma 8:22 AM, December 13, 2009  

Hillarious as always. Welcome back!

Missy 9:33 AM, December 13, 2009  

Brazilian Kit for Private parts...that IS a gift for you Steve. Geeeze. This is something she WILL need your assistance with, though.

Coach Liz 1:02 PM, December 13, 2009  

Looks like Timothy is going to have some explaining to do. HA! That one is funny.

Yeah, I'm with Borsch. Six boxes of bikini wax for just one person is quite a lot. I have a feeling that you are to help use up all of that stuff. Dang! Six boxes would last me for a VERY long time. Six boxes sounds just right for someone's back, chest, legs, arms, and naughty bits. ENJOY!!!

Unknown 7:29 PM, December 13, 2009  

Maybe Timothy is a reader and will completely understand! :) You never know! :) Glad you're back to running and enjoyed an "easy" run!

Jenna 10:43 PM, December 13, 2009  

lol.... Just remember it all hurts less when you hold the skin tight;) It's ok bud, we KNOW it is for you.

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 9:16 AM, December 14, 2009  

Good and Great stuff...packed all in to one little post! Nice job on the 'easy' run. Is it not harder to hold back than to run too fast sometimes...sheesh.

You gonna try on a bikini wax? give it a go -its great- I hear its great. ummmmm

Iron Pol 9:40 PM, December 18, 2009  

Dropped in to comment for your contest, and may as well take the time to make a few other comments. First and foremost, I'll be showing this to my wife. There's no WAY she can get on me for ANYTHING after I show her the pictures of Pharmie's Amazon shipment...

Bill 4:30 PM, January 11, 2010  

Goddess and I laughed our (donkeys) off throughout this post. Thanks for sharing.

And a toast to Grandma and Grandpa for hosting you. What a great way to escape that -30(something in either scale) nastiness.

BINGO!!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.