Saturday's Half Marathon

>> Thursday, January 21, 2010

So I'm trying to get in the right mindset to race on Saturday. I need to be somewhere BETWEEN these two thoughts:

- - - - - - - - - -

Run with your camera, have fun, and take some photos on the way! (Maybe even a video or 2.) This isn't an "A" race, so just ease into it so you don't die at mile 8, and have a good time. Make sure to say "hi" to everyone!

It's a gosh-dern race! Run it "properly" so you can be proud of your finishing time. Don't just go on a 13.1 mile jog. You can do that without paying $30. Suck it up, buttercup. Own it.

- - - - - - - - - -

So I WOULD really like to run with my camera. It's not super tiny, so it's not the easiest to run with. But I think I've convinced myself to run with it. Unless it's raining (which they ARE talking about) because I don't want to ruin it.

We'll see what happens. In the end, I hope I have a fun time running, and I hope to turn in a respectable time! It's 2 days away!!!

p.s. Thanks for all the advice on my heel in my last post. To answer some of your questions: I stretch a lot and love to foam roll, so it's not due to lack of stretching. The pain is always there, not just when I run. I DO have high arches. And I'm paranoid that it's a stress fracture (or a blood clot). I'll look into it after the half marathon. Thanks!

14 comments:

Aimee 10:12 AM, January 21, 2010  

Good luck on your race Saturday! I would take the camera and have fun! Like you said, it's not your "A" race.
I also hope you're able to figure out what the weird pain is...it is no fun having an injury!

D 10:33 AM, January 21, 2010  

A blood clot? I didn't know you were a smoker and on birth. I know, it's tough being a woman these days.

SteveQ 10:47 AM, January 21, 2010  

The constant pain changes my diagnosis (anything else you forget to mention, like peeing blood?). The key to self-diagnosis of stress fractures is that they hurt if you press on the bone from more than one angle, rather than just when pressing straight down.

Is it worse in the morning and gets better as you run? Then it's tendonitis.

I'm guessing now that you have a small tear at the attachment of the achilles to the muscle. Six weeks without speedwork will take care of it. But you have a race this weekend...

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 11:19 AM, January 21, 2010  

GOOD LUCK this weekend Steve. (you could get a smaller digital to take on these kind of races....)

The Boring Runner 11:50 AM, January 21, 2010  

I LOVE the phrase "suck it up buttercup" I'm sure that you're going to be able to find the right balance. Hopefully you don't have another gut buster of a race where you tried to go balls out right from the start.

Mike Russell 12:00 PM, January 21, 2010  

I vote for HTFU and race the sucker.

Carolina John 1:39 PM, January 21, 2010  

i think it would be a great blogger trick for someone to give you a small lightweight camera designed for people to run with for you to review after a race like that. if you could get free swag and still run a hard race it would double the fun. plus i would end up buying that camera, i've been looking for one that is light enough to carry with me in races.

Anonymous,  3:23 PM, January 21, 2010  

Good Luck this weekend! ~ Looking forward to some pics of the race!

Doc Charlatan,  3:24 PM, January 21, 2010  

Yeah, datz roit. Take it, like a man. Like an IRONMAN!

So what if it's a CLOT and you're gonna DIE! Hopefully right as your lifeless body crashes through the finish line.

As another fan so eloquently put it, "Suck it up (buttercup)!"

Think of the wake we'll have afterwards. You'll be so PISSED you're DEAD....

Julie 3:24 PM, January 21, 2010  

Hi Steve,
So are you still showing up for sure? My husband thinks I am nuts for wanting to run in snow and sleet but I am thinking I am going to suck it up Buttercup too! If you happen to see me at the last leg of the race will you cheer for me and tell me to move faster:) I am for sure going to bring my camera and run with it. I have to document history, you know, have visual memories of my first half. I am going to set myself up with the 9 to 10 mile minute pacers. Are you planning on setting up with the 7 minute pacers? I will look for you and if by some chance I don't run into you..good luck and kick some butt!!!

Jennifer 3:31 PM, January 21, 2010  

Here's how you can tell you are a hard-care dude: "maybe it's a blood clot, I'll check it out after the half-marathon". You're awesome. Hey, maybe too much stretching - I just read an article about this - cannot recall the source. One more option for your mind place: 'celebrate we will, for life is short and sweet for certain'. Good luck Steve!

Unknown 7:11 PM, January 21, 2010  

I'm having the exact same dilemma about a half on Sunday. Put me on team suck it up!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.