Does It Work: Aquaphor

>> Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Before January, I’d never used Aquaphor (made by Eucerin). We had a few small samples in our cupboard that we had gotten in swag-bags at local races over the years:



Last month, Pharmie and I went to AZ. (Click here for photos from that trip, and click here to see photos of us climbing and running at the Lost Dutchman State Park.) I went on a hard 9 mile run down there that left me with some nasty blisters under my big toe. I SHOULD have just popped and drained them, but instead I just ripped the blisters completely off:



Pharmie told me I needed to keep it moist. So that first night I smothered it in Aquaphor:



That really helped the situation. I applied Aquaphor twice a day - before bed and after getting up. The day after those nasty photos above, we went hiking / running in the Superstition Mountains for 5 hours, and my feet were fine. A few days later, I really smothered my blister wounds in Aquaphor before an 8 mile run, and that helped A LOT.



Aquaphor for Healing: Grade of A. I’ve had blisters like this in the past. And they usually get all dried, cracked, and nasty. And lotion is NOT NEARLY as thick as Aquaphor. (I’ve tried regular lotion, “good” lotion, Gold Bond “Triple Action” Foot Cream, Mission Foot Cream, and foot lotion from Bath and Body Works. Aquaphor is thicker and “stays put” better than any of those.)

Aquaphor for Prevention: Grade of B+. This really helped the few times I used it on my wounds before runs. I mean, it’s not magical and won’t prevent hot-spots or 100% of all annoyances, but it’s still good stuff. When using it for “prevention,” I use it a little thicker than when using it for “healing.”

So, have you used Aquaphor? What’s been your experience with it? I know some people use it in place of Body Glide in certain areas - have you done that? And check back at 2 am and 2 pm every day this week for more “Does It Work” posts. Click on the “Does It Work” tag to see all posts in this mini-series.

22 comments:

Maggs 3:04 AM, February 02, 2010  

Aquaphor is another product I use. The only thing that heals chafing faster is Budreaux's Butt Paste. Aquaphor smells less like diaper paste. I use it in place of body glide if I'm already chaffed there or if it's going to be a long ride in rainy conditions. Seems to hold up better in 3 hour downpours than any chamois butter I've used.

Jen 5:43 AM, February 02, 2010  

I love Aquaphor... and despite what MM says, I do NOT think it smells like diaper paste.

Leah 7:17 AM, February 02, 2010  

I love Aquaphor. Especially in the winter. I put it on my face on super cold days when I run or ride outside and it actually keeps my exposed skin warmer and prevents it from chapping.

Anonymous,  8:11 AM, February 02, 2010  

I started useing Aquaphor after seeing the fast results on my kid's diaper rash. I love it.

Sarah 9:11 AM, February 02, 2010  

We used Aquaphor on my Dad when he was dying of cancer. Very gentle and fast working.

So as a non-runner... What's body glide? I can probably imagine, but since you have such fun descriptions, I'm hoping that you will tell me.

:)

Kim 9:12 AM, February 02, 2010  

that is my lube of choice for my va jay jay - put a crapload on in T2 before IM Coz and it pretty much held up for the whole bike - (should have reapplied, but didnt want to stop). i didnt know they sold it in bigger containers - i will have to invest.

Becca 9:13 AM, February 02, 2010  

I actually use Aquaphor on my tattoos when they are healing! I have never had any healing problems since I was advised by my tattoo artist to try this. It's good stuff!!

Emily W 9:31 AM, February 02, 2010  

I used Aquaphor (also accumulated from swag bags) on a skinned knee this Fall. After only a few days, new skin was appearing and removing the bandage was a LOT more manageable. Love the stuff! It's less "goopy" than Vaseline, too.

Regina 9:38 AM, February 02, 2010  

I also started using it after seeing how amazing it was on my son's diaper rash. Thanks too to MM mentioning Budreaux's Butt Paste, I still have some of that hanging around and hadn't thought of using it; it does smell though.

Aquaphor is an amazing all purpose lubricant. I just wish I had remembered to use it in my indoor try this past Sunday...Ouch!

Molly 9:39 AM, February 02, 2010  

Aquaphor is my triathlon body chafing product of choice. Forget Body Glide, this stuff works way better through LONG races. I applied tons before my Ironman swim and it lasted through most of the 112 mile bike (I used a small tube at special needs to apply a smidge on one spot that was bothering me and it saved the day - comfort the rest of the way!). I think it's an A++++++ for prevention.

My Life 10:19 AM, February 02, 2010  

Now that I have your blisters burned into my brain for eternity...

Is it supposed to be an alternative to something like Body Glide?

Betsy 11:17 AM, February 02, 2010  

I need to always remind myself to not open your blog when I'm feeling even the taddest bit nauseous ;)

I've never used aquaphor b/c, as others have noted, the smell gets to me. however, i've had my fair share of bad, hard-to-heal blisters before, so maybe i'll just plug my nose and try this!

Badgergirl 11:27 AM, February 02, 2010  

I use Aquaphor in the winter for dry skin.

Mike Russell 12:09 PM, February 02, 2010  

I have never used it. Now Bag Balm, my grandpa taught me to use it for about everything. I love that stuff.

Steve Stenzel 12:16 PM, February 02, 2010  

I haven't noticed a smell with my Aquaphor, so maybe there's a more "medicated" version that I don't know about? The "regular" stuff has no smell to me. So that's nice.

And those asking about Body Glide: I see where you could use Aquaphor and BG interchangeably for certain things. But I use those for different things. BG works for me under my arms and between my thighs (rubbing from long runs), and Aquaphor might be a little nasty to use down there. But Kim DID spread Aquaphor all over her lady bits, but Kim WOULD do that...

Come to think of it, Aquaphor is sort of an "in between:" it's thinner than BG (which comes in "stick" form like deodorant, but thicker than lotion.

B. Kramer 1:16 PM, February 02, 2010  

I have a bunch of these little samples sizes of Aquaphor. It certainly does absorb quickly, but I found it does a good job of keeping "areas" lubricated. Cheers!

Anonymous,  1:54 PM, February 02, 2010  

Since haven't been paid off by the compression company (you say, though I remain frankly rather skeptical), perhaps you won't mind my telling you that those tights and the plastic sandals in the last post make you look like SUPER CHICKEN on the SKIDS.

As for Aquaphor, I'd say it's TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE. At best it can provide but a temporary reprieve. Those dogs of yours are GOING DOWN....

Next GISMO?

justme 2:56 PM, February 02, 2010  

i love aquaphor, use it for my lips all the time and i put it on my feet every night before i go to bed

Julie D 4:11 PM, February 02, 2010  

I use it to remove my makeup, tame eyebrows, and prevent chafing!

Julie @ ROJ Running 7:38 PM, February 03, 2010  

I want to be a spokesperson for Aquaphor. They make a body wash and it's my favorite. They also make shampoo but it's only available in the UK

21stCenturyMom 9:30 PM, February 03, 2010  

Aquaphore is way better than any other butt butter/ass cream out there for bike shorts lube. Stays on during the swim and really, really works!!

It's great for chapped skin, too but I prefer creamier products for that.

Maggs 2:30 AM, February 04, 2010  

I just wanted to clarify. Aquaphor does not smell like diaper paste...which is why I said (comparing it to Butt Paste), Aquaphor smells less like diaper paste.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.