Your Worms Do WHAT?

>> Thursday, April 08, 2010

Jenny Evans contacted me a few weeks ago. She said she’d like to offer me some nutritional advice if she can use me as an example on her blog. I was game.

You might remember Jenny. She’s run with me once at the Dome. (Only once, Jenny? Come on!...) Here she is running with Jen R, and Jenny is the one with the abs that you can still see in this photo, even though everything is super blurry:



Jenny has a huge bio ranging from being a Fortune 500 speaker to being an A.C.E. Certified personal trainer for over 15 years. (You can look up her complete bio here if you’re interested.) She’s sometimes seen doing fitness “pieces” on some local TV shows. She invented “Powerhouse Hit The Deck” (a quick no-frills, no-weights-needed workout), and here she is as the model on one of the cards in the workout:



And she’s a Mom with a body like THAT. So she’s doing something right. (Or she’s been blessed with genes straight from the gods.)

She wanted me to HONESTLY keep track of what I ate each day, along with when I worked out. So from Monday March 22 through Sunday March 28, I kept an honest log of what I put in my mouth [insert dirty sophomoric joke here]. I REALLY tried to not let the act of “logging” change the way I ate, and I think I did a good job of being honest.

(Side Note: I can TOTALLY see how keeping a food journal would make you eat better. There were plenty of times that I wanted a snack but didn’t want to have to write that particular item down in my log [but I ate it and logged it anyway]. So if you want to watch what you eat, I’d highly recommend keeping a food / drink journal.)

Well, we met to record a podcast on Tuesday, and I was ready for Jenny to lay into me. We recorded about a 30:00 interview, and then we just sat around and chatted for nearly an hour. We talked about blogging, internet stuff, training, racing, the aerial set-up that she mounts in her backyard to practice the trapeze and other aerial arts all summer long, etc. (And yes, that last one is no joke - Jenny's pretty cool!)

Things that may have come up during the podcast:

The term "man sack."

I might have admitted to eating kittens.

Stuff I can't pronounce is d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s.

If I have too much fiber, "...it's messy."

The podcast isn't that funny. Really. It's me getting my ass handed to me by someone who thinks I should be eating better. (And who is right.) So don't expect lots of LOLing or ROFLing. Yes, there are bits and pieces of our personality that show through here-and-there, but Jenny and I are just having a talk about small changes to lead to a healthier life (and therefore faster training / racing). Hopefully everyone can learn a little something from my mistakes.

So, click here to see her blog post about her podcast interview with me. The interview and the podcast are called "My Worms Eat Better Than Steve In A Speedo." (In reference to the worms in her compost bin.) If you go to that link, you can find the podcast. Or you can search for "PowerHouse Performance Coaching" in iTunes, and you'll find it there too. AND, as you'll hear Jenny ask during the interview, she also put up my food log for the week at the bottom of that post. So check out Jenny's interview with me, and let me (or her) know if you have other thoughts on my eating / training / living habits.

Other things to note:
- I'm not as fast as Jenny makes me sound.
- I'm a little sad that at times I sound PROUD of the crap I eat.
- I LOVE how low-key the interview was: we were sitting at Jenny's dining room table, and you can sometimes hear planes fly overhead.
- You should be bummed that you can't see Jenny's expressions after I say something stupid. ;)

19 comments:

kristen 7:44 AM, April 08, 2010  

Only 1 strip of bacon with that entire pizza? I'm disappointed!

I hope you buy that cereal at Costco. My husband eats about as much cereal as you do and I think we'd go broke if we had to pay "regular price" for it.

Jumper 2.0 8:12 AM, April 08, 2010  

It's about time somebody talked to you about what you eat!!!!!!

;-)

CoachLiz 8:28 AM, April 08, 2010  

Can I give Jenny a hug??? Have I not told you that you could have been choosing better "FUEL" for the engine?

And it is messy for everyone who eats fiber but you have to eat it! Refined and processed crap is like spackle or glue in your intestines.

Ok, I will shut up now. Oh, and go eat an apple. Lots of fiber in those. :0)

Steve Stenzel 8:37 AM, April 08, 2010  

Liz, why did I KNOW you would love this?!? ;)

CoachLiz 8:39 AM, April 08, 2010  

"Sno-Puffs" and pizza??? Really Steve???

Glad to see you are keeping General Mills afloat in this economy. Don't forget to save the Box Tops for School and drop them off at a local elementary school. The schools get money for those box tops. The school may be able to get a few new computers with all the box tops you could turn it to them. :0)

libgyrl 8:43 AM, April 08, 2010  

Don't worry, Steve, this week I "might" have had a day where my meals were primarily cupcakes. One of them "might" have had peanut butter frosting and a piece of bacon on it (seriously, go try the "Elvis" from Cake Eater Bakery, delish).

Of course, don't let this bad eater athlete enable you. Listen to coach Liz and that super successful Jenny.

Matt Ellenberger 9:33 AM, April 08, 2010  

She's hot. Yeah I went there. You were all thinking it though

Christi 9:44 AM, April 08, 2010  

Okay, I am a girl and I think she is hot. Good eating Steve!

The Boring Runner 12:55 PM, April 08, 2010  

What is there not to be proud of? It isn't like your nutrition now is totally 'failing' you. You're not bonking 3/4 of the way through races (or at least not admitting to it). But, I suppose it could be better... :)

I wanted to get defensive for you on the cereal - I eat a ton of that stuff too. How can TucanSam be wrong?

I'm really glad that I am not the only person who has never tried greek yogurt.

"which isn't bad..... do I want to absorb much of this?" LOL

Steve Stenzel 1:57 PM, April 08, 2010  

Adam, thanks for backing me up on the cereal!!

AND for quoting that line of mine! I make a good point, right?!? Ha!

Anonymous,  6:12 PM, April 08, 2010  

Not dispensing medical advice, but. . . being in the bathroom that much is not really normal. Might want to get checked for Celiac Disease. Very, very common. Fixing that can turn off the spicket!

jenez_world 8:32 PM, April 08, 2010  

that is SO much cheese. i am surprised you dont need the fiber to unblock the cheese factor !

X-Country2 10:59 PM, April 08, 2010  

I'd listen to whatever that lady says. :o)

Unknown 5:06 AM, April 09, 2010  

wowzers, Steve! soda? really? why? how about trying some shredded wheat (aka 'hay bales') with some OJ instead of milk. milk is good for you if you are a baby cow. otherwise.....humans don't need it. i agree with Adam, too, though. your fuel seems to work for you. just don't make many drastic changes....

Jenny Evans 7:19 AM, April 09, 2010  

I'll be the first to admit I don't eat perfectly (nor would I want to - life would be too boring and I love me some chocolate cake) and I've got to give Steve credit for putting his eating habits out there for all the world to see. And critique. I'll be happy if he starts with 1 or 2 small changes - especially if it has anything to do with CEREAL or getting in that post-workout recovery snack of carbs and protein. If he can rock the racing world on diet soda and Apple Jacks, I'm dying to know what he can do by actually eating some quality food. Go Steve!

Jennifer Harrison 8:04 AM, April 09, 2010  

OH MY GOD. I could NOT even read the journal all the way thru b/c I really did NOT think adult athletes would even have Apple Jacks in their houses! I do not even let my kids eat that shit.

oh Steve.....pop? Puff crap?

Cereal with MILK before a race? Just imagine how much better you will feel and recover if you clean up your diet AND if you were 40+ you could not do it like this!

Phew. I am tired now. lol

Sarah 12:35 PM, April 09, 2010  

Dear Steve

Don't change a thing. I think you're adorable. Eat what you want while you can and keep on living life in the fun, vibrant way it is intended to be lived.

Signed, Sarah
someone who reads your blog for the pure entertainment value it gives me.

And I'm a lover of Cats.

RunningLaur 9:43 AM, April 10, 2010  

You ought to be buying stock in General Mills!

T 7:11 PM, April 10, 2010  

as much as i kind of agree with everyone's comments (both here and on jenny's blog) about what you eat ... at the same time, i say, do whatever works for you! what works for most may not work for all. if your body works well with what you eat ... i say keep it going. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.