Does It Work: "Anti-Stink" Clothing

>> Wednesday, June 30, 2010

This past spring, I got to try out shirt made by New Balance (the "NBx Emmisive" long-sleeve) that had "X-Static" fiber woven into it. Click here to see a very similar version of that shirt. Here's a bit from the X-Static website that talks about what it can do:

X-static is a fiber made with layer of 99.9% pure silver, which is permanently bonded to the surface of a textile fiber. It has been used primarily as an industrial and medical product, servicing high-tech industries and the Department of Defense.

More recently it has been thrust into consumer product markets as a result of the need for a safe, natural and effective antimicrobial solution. X-static is a fiber antimicrobial, all natural, heat transfer, anti-static and therapeutic.

Antimicrobial. Eliminates odor causing bacteria and athlete’s foot fungus.

Anti-odor. Inhibits growth of bacteria and fungi and neutralizes ammonia and denatured proteins.

All- Natural. 100%. Safe and non-toxic, containing no chemical or pesticides.

Thermodynamic. Regulates temperature: cooler in the summer, warmer in the winter. Thanks to heat conductive body heat is distribuited and conducted to the outside air and thanks to heat reflective body heat is reflected back to the skin.

Anti-static. It has very high electrical conductivity.

So I don't know about you, but I read that as "this shirt won't start to smell like anus." OK. Lemme try.

Here I am wearing it as I set my current 5K PR (17:11) this spring:


Pre-race (with a cat coming out of my butt)


Near the finish line

Then I wore it a few weeks later when I set my half marathon PR (1:22:51) racing with friends in WI:


2 miles left... mustering a smile


Just after finishing. And yes, that's salt on my cheek to the right.
I look like hell, but the shirt looks nice.

Bottom line: it never got funky. Yes, my pits stunk after that half marathon, but shortly after taking off the shirt, it was only ME that still smelled. NOT the shirt. More importantly, it's comfy as hell and I like the way it "falls" on me. Pharmie thinks it's cozy. And if it can hold up for a half-marathon, it's alright in my book.

Side Note: I have a friend who's been falling in love with some "anti-stink" technology from a different brand (I don't think it's New Balance, but I can't remember). He's being a "guy" about it and seeing how long he can go without washing it. He made me sniff it a few months ago. (OK, so he didn't have to MAKE me.) He claimed he's worn it for 40-50 runs, and it just smelled like fabric. It didn't smell like pits, or swass, or chode. That makes me think that this "technology" is the real deal (albeit allowing guys to be gross).

New Balance Emmisive ("Anti-Stink") Shirt: Grade of A. It's a great running shirt, and it doesn't hold an odor. It's pretty thin, so it's a good spring / fall shirt, but it's way too thin to be worn during the winter. However, I suppose it'd work well as a base-layer during the coldest months.

p.s. I feel like any "name brand" promoting some sort of "anti-stink" clothing would work similarly. I'd just stay away from off-brands like Ree-bonk and Nigh-Kee. ;) Again, click here to be taken to OnlineShoes.com to see more about this New Balance NBx Emmisive shirt and / or to purchase it.

p.p.s. The term "anti-stink" is not an industry term. That's just a "Steve" term. Much like "bootylicious" before Beyonce stole it...

p.p.p.s. Giveaway news tomorrow! So stop back if you like food hearty food!! (Update [10:35 am] - the giveaway might be post-poned. I'll have more soon...)

(Click on the “Does It Work” tag to see all posts in this mini-series. I did a number of posts like this back in February.)

10 comments:

misszippy 8:53 AM, June 30, 2010  

Will it give me a PR like yours?

Kat 10:52 AM, June 30, 2010  

Steve, I'm new to your blog and I absolutely love it! I'm a cyclist-hoping-to-turn-duathlete and reading your posts always makes me laugh. I look forward to your words of wisdom!

Thanks for the grins! :-)

Kim 12:38 PM, June 30, 2010  

i would love if they made an anti-stink short :) wouldnt you?! no grundle smell after running?!

gene 7:02 PM, June 30, 2010  

thanks for reminding me! I am supposed to be trialing a shirt from stinkatnothing.com . i have used it, but have not written about it. whoops! i sweat like craaazy, too, and it really helps. especially for the rides home, or if i have to get to work.

Luis Oliveira,  8:05 PM, June 30, 2010  

What do you mean? Does you sweat stinks? Really? Mine has this gracious smell of baby powder.

Regina 9:03 PM, June 30, 2010  

There is this other company here:
http://www.stinkatnothing.com/
that makes something similar. They sent me a shirt, they challenge you to give it your best shot and stink it up as best you can and record yourself (I think afterward). here is the thing, half of the shirt is not treated and half is for the challenge, so you really get to compare the funk factor.

I haven't gotten around to giving it a go, but it seemed right up your alley.

fbhidy 2:56 PM, July 06, 2010  
This comment has been removed by the author.
fbhidy 2:58 PM, July 06, 2010  

I could really use one of these, all mine really "stink!" (previous post removed due to a typo!)

sRod 7:20 AM, July 10, 2010  

I bought a pair of anti-stink shorts outfitted with silver and everything. But they were no match for the sRod funk.

Not surprised that it's a NB shirt--they make the best stuff that isn't a bazillion dollars.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.