Snowshoeing and Upcoming Half

>> Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This past weekend, Pharmie and I headed into WI to hang out with some friends at a cabin. On Saturday, we had temperatures climb into the teens, so a few of us headed out to snowshoe across the lake and back before sunset. (When we don't have 19 below windchill like I did for my 14 mile run, it's a GREAT time to get outside! Ha!)

Here are some photos from our hour-long snowshoe trek:


Getting geared up.


The view across the lake (with ice houses in the middle).


Me and Pharmie (she lent me her pink shades).


Stairs are hard when you're in snowshoes.


Some of the gang along with the cabin.


Jess and Pharmie.


Heading across a frozen lake.


Luke and Maddy running to catch up.


Jess and Pharmie.


The gang.


Passing the little island (to the right), headed back into a bay ahead.


On the way back to the cabin.


The girls getting home as the sun set.


Back up the steps.


Al showing a little nipple (and chest hair) in his sweet, sweet track suit back at the cabin.

I know I don't need to really say this, but Al and I get along jjjjjuuuuuussssstttttt fine. ;)

So this weekend is the Winter Carnival Half Marathon. (More formally known as the Securian Run.) I feel pretty uneasy about how I'll perform at this race. But that's OK because it's totally just a FUN race - no pressure to break a certain goal.

That being said, I'd LOVE to "Winter Half Marathon PR" as I mentioned before, which is sub-1:28. But no pressure. They changed the route this year, and I don't know what to think. Before, it was a true out-and-back race. Now, it loops through downtown for 2 miles before hitting the trail along the river. The only bad news about this is that THEY'VE ADDED IN ANOTHER HILL. Here's the elevation chart, and do you see that big hill coming up to mile 1? That didn't used to be there.



The good news through all of this is that a runner who I met over a year ago is racing the half, and she's hoping to start off easy and see if she can pick it up to finish around 1:25. So I might try to hang with her! I've rarely had a "race partner" in the past, so this could be fun!

Check back for photos and to see how it goes! Thanks!

6 comments:

Beth 8:06 PM, January 26, 2011  

Good luck at the Frozen Half! I'm sorry I can't be there this year, but I know you will have a blast. You'll have to give a report on the revised route.

Christi 8:27 AM, January 27, 2011  

Good luck at your race!

I love snowshoeing! My coach took me in December and we had a great time!

Lora Abernathy 2:46 PM, January 27, 2011  

Lovin' those snow pics. Good luck on race day!

teacherwoman 4:16 PM, January 27, 2011  

snow shoeing looks like a lot of fun and hard work! I am going to have to try it sometime!

Good luck with your frozen HM! :)

Marci 10:24 PM, January 27, 2011  

That snow shoeing looks like fun. Good luck with your HM, sending winter PR vibes your way!

Born To Endure 8:58 PM, January 29, 2011  

I am sooo not worthy of a runner...watching you guys and your hardcore workouts in the snow makes me such a wimp!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.