Less Than 2 Hour Trainer Ride and More Than 2 Hours Shoveling Snow

>> Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sunday night, Pharmie and I hit the trainers and put in a movie. The problem was that our craptastic basement TV was NOT loud enough to hear the dialog. Funny, it's always PLENTY loud when Coach Troy is yelling at us.... "3.. 2.. and OONNEEE... small chain-ring, easy spinning."

So I grabbed a drop-cloth, our bikes, our trainers, and the movie, and moved everything upstairs in front of our "good" TV. Here was our temporary movie-watching set-up with my cat Kermit licking herself in the corner:



Here I am all sweaty (and crazy-eyed) after about 100 minutes of spinning:



Where's my cute, pregnant wife you ask? She was already in the kitchen. No, that's not a "a woman's place is in the kitchen" joke. It was a "a pregnant woman is always hungry" joke. Only that's no joke. It's the truth.

And then yesterday, I got in some GREAT cross training. We got over a foot of snow during the day, and I spent a total of 2 and a half hours shoveling and blowing snow! These following 9 photos are for my southern friends.


Pharmie's tracks through and over a 3 foot drift in the backyard.


Dear winter: "pphhphphffft."


Covered in snow exactly 11 minutes after starting.


Snowblower and the snow (to the right) nearly as tall as it.


Done blowing snow, with hat COATED in ice.

Whenever I get out the snowblower and have some extra time, I help out all the neighbors. Once I had put the snowblower away and was shoveling, one of my neighbors stopped by with a bottle of wine as a "THANKS" for always taking care of their sidewalk! How sweet!!



She said her hubby was just thinking about going out to shovel when he stood up and said "YYEESSS! Here comes Steve and his snowblower!"

Once I got in the house, I laid my gloves, pants, and cat by the fire to dry out:



We got another 2-3 inches later in the day, so my nicely cleared path now had some powder on it:



After nearly another hour, the driveway and yard were cleared again. Look at the pile of snow in our backyard - it's 8 feet higher than our driveway, and I'm running out of places to throw snow!!!



Dear Mother Nature: stop it. Just stop it. I hate you.

p.s. If you haven't entered the Element Bars giveaway, make sure to scroll down to yesterday's post and leave a comment to be entered. Happy winter!

16 comments:

kristen 6:29 AM, February 22, 2011  

We just had a big melt last week bu up until then, our snow piles were looking close to that high too.

I'm sick of winter...

TriEric 6:29 AM, February 22, 2011  

You probably would have finished sooner if you weren't taking so many pictures.

We got a lot of ice yesterday around Cleveland. Yes.....there a lot of people eager for winter to be over.

Lucas R. Tucker 7:21 AM, February 22, 2011  

Nice ride. I have only done one trainer ride over 90 minutes and it sucked. Mad respect for you.

I also spent time by the fire this weekend, except it was in a fire pit on my deck after grilling some steaks and it was 70 degress outside.

Sun Runner 7:38 AM, February 22, 2011  

That makes the 7 or so inches we got Sunday in Michigan look like nothing. I won't complain any more.

What is it about cats and fires? It's like, "fires are the new boxes."

Katie 8:06 AM, February 22, 2011  

hm, when I'm on my rollers, I always have to turn on the closed captioning because I can't hear anything over the noise. I guess it also has to do with me living in an apartment and being hesitant to turn up the sound too loud and bugging the neighbors.

Nice snow mounds! They *really* need to go away, though.

Rachel K,  8:59 AM, February 22, 2011  

Living in Houston let me say ~ I cannot imagine! That snow is incredible.

mollyapolis,  9:31 AM, February 22, 2011  

Look Steve... you need to quit bitching. Do you know what the really good endurance athletes do in the winter? They ski. Cross country ski. It's the best cross training around for multi-sport athletes. This weekend is the Birkebeiner. 50 kilometers of winter bliss. Learn how to skate ski and you'll never "pphhphphffft" at winter again.

SteveQ 10:43 AM, February 22, 2011  

Five hours of shoveling for me, no snowblower assistance, 15 miles run in the blizzard and now on to roof raking. April, please come soon!

Steve Stenzel 11:49 AM, February 22, 2011  

Molly, I love your sass! But I love working out this time of year: I like to snowshoe and run outdoors (but I'm a little annoyed that my injury is keeping me from that right now).

This post was only about hating MOVING snow. I don't know that learning to CC ski would make my 2.5 hours of shoveling go away..... ;)

Emily 12:17 PM, February 22, 2011  

That snow is ridiculous. Shoveling it even more so.

Also, Pharmie and I have identical bikes and shoes :)

LB 12:53 PM, February 22, 2011  

um steve, that plastic under the bikes makes it look like a murder scene set up LOL! you must be a sweaty beast! i cant even imagine that much snow. we get upset in NC over a dusting!

Anonymous,  3:12 PM, February 22, 2011  

Ok - time for me to stop bitching about the weather/snow in Madison - holy crapitola!

Unknown 8:19 PM, February 22, 2011  

I just got introduced to coach troy. He kicked my ass. ha!

The Triathlon Rx 9:21 PM, February 22, 2011  

Haha I wish I could take up Molly's advice and take up skiing. The only thing that kept me from being a complete cry baby about the storm was that my birkie buddies needed fresh snow for the race this weekend!

Alas, it is just one more sport to fund, and that is extra $$ I do noooot have! Running it is.

Thomas 12:02 PM, February 23, 2011  

About the only thing about MN I don't miss, the weather. Spring is coming....

Brandon 4:20 PM, February 23, 2011  

you ever notice how coach Troy's 3-2-1's are rather quick as well? It's like threetwoone!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.