New Tri Shop Opening in Minneapolis

>> Sunday, February 27, 2011

On Friday, I got to tour the work-in-progress that is Urban Tri. Todd Olson, an "online buddy", is getting ready to open the Twin Cities' newest tri store in a few weeks.

Todd and I first officially met after he did LTF Tri in 2009. And if you have a good memory, he was the one I mentioned at the end of my 2010 TC 10 Mile race report - Todd was working in the Media Tent for the TC 10 Mile and TC Marathon, and was the first to congratulate me on my sub-60 10 mile (and he told me not to barf in front of the media tent - ha!).

Here's the storefront at 50th and Bryant in Minneapolis that still says "Ahrendt Carpet Company:"



To give Urban Tri a bit of an "urban" feel, Todd hired a graffiti artist to paint the slat-walls:


Some of the main-floor retail space.


Inventory starting to arrive as the space is still coming together.


Part of the basement: the bike shop area.

This next feature is my favorite thing about the new space. Urban Tri is only a few blocks from the Chain of Lakes, so it'd be a great place to start a bike or a run. Todd recognized that fact, so he's putting in a big bathroom and a shower so people can stop by the store, do a workout, and then shower before heading to work or home! Here's a photo that I took while standing in the middle of the bathroom looking into what's soon-to-be the shower space:



I wrote an Examiner article about my meeting with Todd (which includes a few more photos). Click here to see more.

BTW, below are a few more recent Examiner articles of mine. Feel free to follow the St. Paul Triathlon Examiner on Facebook to get local tri-related updates in your FB Feed.

• Life Time Fitness is hosting another Ride of a Lifetime - a world-record breaking spin class.

• The MDRA published their results of the Best Race in Minnesota (as voted by distance runners).

• There's a brand new triathlon in St. Paul with a point-to-point Mississippi River swim!

• The unveiling of the sweet 2011 TC Marathon poster.

• The USATF MN Runners of the Year.

Back with a new giveaway in the next few days! Happy Sunday!

2 comments:

Carly 8:39 AM, February 27, 2011  

Oh cool! Not too far from my house.

t-odd 10:02 AM, February 27, 2011  

Thanks for the write-up! This next week a lot of stuff will be happening so I might have to have you back for an update.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.