No Running For A While....

>> Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Securian Run Half Marathon was 2 weeks ago. I ran that feeling fine. My first run after that was 5 days later, when I did some moderate intervals at the Metrodome. My heel felt a little achy at the end of that workout, so I stretched it out well. The next day (last Friday), I went out for an easy run with Pharmie. Something was definitely wrong. D'oh.

The pain was lower down my heel than it usually was. In the past, when I've had random overuse injuries, the very lower part of my calf (upper heel) is tight / sore. This time, it was very, very low down my achilles - it was only a 1/2 inch from the bottom of my foot (seemingly where my achilles meets my heel). It hurt on both the inside and the outside of my foot, but it was a bit worse on the outside.

I went to Dr. Folske yesterday (my ART Doc). I hadn't had to see him for 17 months!! I've been doing a good job at monitoring any issues and stretching well! But this pain was different than the "norm."

Bottom line? I can't run for a while and I need to sleep in this:



Dr. Folske said there's a good chance that the point where my achilles meets bone down at my heel has some micro-tears. This "boot" (it's actually called a night splint) keeps my heel neutral all night long so the tendon can heal up quicker.

If I were to keep running, I'd just be aggravating where that tendon meets bone, and my body would try to heal it by building more bone. If I kept that up, I'd need to have surgery to scrape the bone back down.

Surgery? No thank you.

So I slept in the splint last night, and it went OK. I slept pretty normally, except for whenever I moved - then the boot would hit my other leg and I'd wake up. It could have been worse. I'll wear this thing for as long as I need to, and we'll see how quickly I can get back to running. In the meantime, I'm off to the pool....

p.s. If you haven't thrown your name in the hat for $150+ in sweet shades from Ryders Eyewear, please CLICK HERE to go to my "giveaway post," and leave a comment there. Thanks!

17 comments:

LB 9:18 AM, February 12, 2011  

not sure which is hotter, the toucan sam shorts or the boot. hope the heel heals soon!

Teri S. 9:28 AM, February 12, 2011  

Sorry for the injury! There is nothing worse to an athlete than that...hope it heals up quickly for you.

crossn81 9:41 AM, February 12, 2011  
This comment has been removed by the author.
crossn81 10:58 AM, February 12, 2011  

I deleted my previous comment about Plantar Fascitis after re-reading your post. It is still on the Achilles, not the bottom of the foot.

Still, Heel well and fast!

Lora Abernathy 11:12 AM, February 12, 2011  

Egads!!!!!!! Hope you heal soon!

SteveQ 11:29 AM, February 12, 2011  

I got the bone growth and inflamed bursae as well. Looks like I'm hiding walnuts in my heels. Take care!

Anonymous,  2:09 PM, February 12, 2011  

steve! I have been through this TWICE, and I have worn das boot as well. Check out this running injury protocol my coach put together, it WORKS.

One of his athletes in Kona came off it and ran a 3:15 off the bike without running for like two months!

http://kropelnicki.com/?p=139

Jamie 3:29 PM, February 12, 2011  

Damn. That sux steve. Hope you heal fast!

Pretend this is real 5:13 PM, February 12, 2011  

Not sure which is more attractive: the boot or the Toucan Sam boxers. Hope that helps your heel!

Jennifer Harrison 8:08 PM, February 12, 2011  

OH GOSH STEVE!!!! Say it ain't so!! What did you do to get that boot? I am sorry!!! HEAL FAST!

Ironman By Thirty 5:52 AM, February 13, 2011  

I don't think I can ever eat Fruit Loops again...

Hope you heal fast! I am on the DL as well - http://www.ironmanbythirty.com/2011/02/13/we-interrupt-the-previously-scheduled-training (It even includes a Steve In a Speedo-esq ugly foot picture). :)

RFalkenrath 7:51 AM, February 13, 2011  

Bummer Dude! My wife is wearing the exact same thing at night (NO NOT THE SHORTS - the splint) after ankle reconstruction 2 weeks ago. I'm sure your wife enjoys you kicking her with it, too. =)

trimybest 10:14 AM, February 13, 2011  

that sucks! its a good thing you weren't wearing that a few months ago. it looks like pretty effective birth control to me!

Carolina John 1:33 PM, February 13, 2011  

That sucks in the neighborhood of Plantar Fascitis. At least you have Toucan Sam boxers to console you.

Heal up quick!

Bruther 8:11 AM, February 14, 2011  

8 years ago, before I started triathlon, I tore my achilles (micro). I never let it heal and through 6 years of triathlon (and basketball - oops) I have been in pain. This year I finally took November until February off the run and basketball and it has seemingly healed - all I can say is don't rush the healing process as it will never get better if you do.

Kim 1:51 PM, February 14, 2011  

ugh steve that blows! hope you recover quickly!

CoachLiz 8:44 PM, February 15, 2011  

Well, at least you only have to wear that boot at night. That thing reminds me of the contraption I had to sleep in after I had my knee surgery a few years back. Sleeping is fine until you move.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.