I RAN YESTERDAY!!

>> Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's true. I did 3 miles on a treadmill yesterday. And it was slow.

The only reason this is big news is because it's been 5 weeks since I ran because of my partially detached heel!

I started off E.A.S.Y. and resisted the urge to crank up the speed. After 1 mile, I upped it from a "just-shoot-me-now" pace to a "slow-trudge-home-after-a-Jen-Harrison-fartlek-workout" pace. I held that pace for another 2 miles. Everything felt OK throughout!

The funny thing was that under 1 mile into the run, my left side started to cramp. "Super. I'm running at SUCH a super-easy pace..... but it's been so long since I've ran that I'm cramping. Yay me." I really didn't care - I was just happy to be running again!

I went home and strapped the "night splint" on for sleeping. Yep, I'm still wearing this to bed every night:


(Old photo from the second night in the splint about a month ago)

So after the run yesterday and spending another night in the boot, my heel feels perfectly normal this morning! I hope to be running about every 3 days to build my mileage back up slowly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In related running news, don't miss out this weekend on the local "MPLS / St. Paul Run for Christchurch" 5K run that I put together. We're raising awareness (and hopefully donations) for the people of Christchurch, New Zealand. Here's the link to the Facebook Event page. We're meeting at 1 pm on Saturday the 12th at Longfellow Grill in Minneapolis. Everyone should wear black and red for Christchurch (the colors of the "Christchurch Crusaders" rugby team).

If you can't make it to OUR run, go out this weekend wearing black and red and send me a picture to include in our Run for Christchurch "race report!"

And if possible, click here to donate to the New Zealand Red Cross to help out the earthquake victims. I just donated $25 ($5 for every K we're running on Saturday).

9 comments:

kristen 7:55 AM, March 10, 2011  

woohooo....no pain!!!

The Triathlon Rx 8:35 AM, March 10, 2011  

YESSSSIR! Congratulations! Do you think as you transition out of the boot a Strasburg sock might be good? It would definitely be a lot more comfortable to sleep in!

Anonymous,  10:26 AM, March 10, 2011  

Steve, seriously, you just shaved your leg for taping and look at that matted growth you've got. I hear they're looking for an understudy for the mess'n with skaskwatch commercials. Damn...

Unknown 11:30 AM, March 10, 2011  

I know how big 3 miles is for you - congrats!

Anonymous,  5:21 PM, March 10, 2011  

I hear you...been battling an achilles injury since last July. Partial tear. No boot tho...just tape and lots of walking.

That's some sexy night-wear tho!

Three miles is HUGE! Happy healing!

Emma Merry,  8:25 PM, March 10, 2011  

Hi Steve,

Just wanted to say a big "thank you" for supporting us here in New Zealand. As a longtime reader of Steve in a Speedo, I was really touched to see one of my heroes (that's you)from so far away encouraging others to help. We don't live in Christchurch and are thankfully not directly affected, but the whole country has been reeling after the earthquake on Feb 22nd but in true Kiwi style, all helping each other in whatever way possible.
So thank you Steve, so much! And congratulations to you and Pharmie too.

Austin 8:40 PM, March 10, 2011  

congrats man. one step at a time...to be a bit cliche.

Mike 11:03 PM, March 10, 2011  

Thanks for the donation Steve. I hope you're able to run OK. Thanks for your support. It means a lot to us to have blogging celebrities backing this cause and getting the word out there. Great work!

Your run is now on the map

http://batchgeo.com/map/cb17a6bfe00f2e2bcdaf950711144d57

Mike

Pip 11:49 PM, March 10, 2011  

Mr Stenzel, you are amazing! As Mike said, thanks so much for supporting us. Oh, and you get a brief plug in my podcast on the www.run4chch.wordpress.com blog site!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.