Nine Things Right Now

>> Saturday, April 23, 2011

Protein immediately after workouts:
This was something that Jenny Evans told me to work on when we met to talk about nutrition a year ago. She had me keep a "food journal" for a week, and then ripped me a new one when she saw what was in there. (Click here for more on that.) She wanted to make sure I was getting SOMETHING put back in me that's what she said after a workout, and I've been making sure to have a recovery drink or a protein shake. Anything is better than nothing. Thanks Jenny!

Doing LOTS of my PT leg exercises:
Case in point: in the first 3 weeks of April this year, I did 9 hours and 54 minutes of strength work (that's upper body, lower body and core all combined). Last year, I did just over 4 hours of strength work during the first 3 weeks in April. I'm trying to add some muscle to this tiny ass. (Well, not really. I'm just trying to strengthen it as my PT sees fit. I'm not trying to add "ass bulk.")

Foam rolling like CRAZY:
This is really helping my heal my heel. I try to foam roll my calf for about 90 seconds twice a day. It's helping to keep it loose, which helps reduce the "pulling" on my heel so it can get better. I'm trying to keep my IT band loose too, but my left one is ALWAYS tight (which is all the more reason to keep foam rolling). I love my foam roller:



Pregnant Pharmie is still adorable as ever:
Sorry, no recent photo to share, but if you haven't seen her blog post from 2 weeks ago regarding what clothes she's found to work as a pregnant athlete, you might want to check it out. There are some cute / funny photos in that post.

A new tri shop and a new bike shop in the Metro:
"Urban Tri" in Minneapolis had it's grand opening last weekend. I was there (and actually won some socks!). Click here to see photos of the newest tri shop in town! And I also stopped in to a little bike shop in the Cathedral Hill neighborhood of St. Paul called "Omnium Bike Shop" (on Selby Ave, across from Cheeky Monkey Deli). I talked to the owner and snapped some photos - click here to see the photos.

Hydrapak Giveaway:
If you didn't enter the Hyrdapak giveaway from last Tuesday, make sure to scroll down to the post (or click here) and leave a comment on that post to be entered. The winner will be announced on Wednesday or Thursday.

If you're signed up for the Life Time Fitness Triathlon in MPLS:
They're having a giveaway on their Facebook page for anyone doing their race. You can win a pair of CEP Compression Socks. Head to their Facebook page, scroll down to the CEP logo, and leave a comment to be entered!

First duathlon of the year is in ONE WEEK!
Matt and I are heading to the Cannon Falls Duathlon next Saturday! I did a crazy bike / run / bike / run / bike / run / bike / run brick workout yesterday that I'll post about on Monday. We can't wait to race! Next weekend kicks off 4 duathlons over 5 weekends for Matt and I!

Reminder: eat right this weekend:



6 comments:

Tri-James 1:18 PM, April 23, 2011  

Great tips! You have to refuel after a workout - just keep it simple and clean.

Pretend this is real 3:54 PM, April 23, 2011  

We must have the same foam roller. Mine looks and sounds the same as yours!

Richelle 4:55 PM, April 23, 2011  

I love the foam roller pic. It's so true!

Mike 9:32 PM, April 26, 2011  

The food pyramid is awesome! I hope you don't mind but I stole it and reposted to my blog.

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman 8:25 AM, April 27, 2011  

I don't have a foam roller, but I use a tennis ball or racquet ball and a swimming pull buoy (made of foam) and it's done wonders for my ITB.

If the foam roller doesn't completely loosen the ITB, you might consider glute stretches as well; the glute is one of two muscles that attach to the ITB and cause tension. Just FYI.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.