Good Ole' Mile Repeats

>> Thursday, August 04, 2011

Last night, Pharmie went for her first swim in 8 months (she found out she did NOT like swimming with pregnant), and she got home just in time to relieve me of "Henry duty" so I could go run intervals. I met Marie on the Minnehaha Academy South track. It was only my SECOND track workout all year! I spent all of Feb and March injured, and then I spent April and May "building" back up. I didn't want to overdo anything. But now after 2 successful triathlons in the last month, it's time to start working on the speed again!

At the track, there were about 25 "Team In Training" athletes doing their workouts, and they were running the "wrong" way to avoid always running in one direction on the track:



So we joined-in going the wrong way as well. Marie's friend Phil showed up, and after some warm-up, her friend Kelli showed up too.

This was my first track workout in my new shoes. Since I've been having so many blister and rubbing issues with my foot / toes, I figured it was time to mix it up a little. I stopped getting my Brooks Adrenalines, and went with Nike Zoom Structure Triax 14+:



I ended up with a little hot-spot where I usually get one on the bottom of my right big toe, but that's it! They worked well so far!! (I've used them in 2 other "normal" runs as well.)

3 x 1600 with 90 seconds rest

Yep, that's my "go to" track workout. We warmed-up for a mile, and then we split up to do our workouts. I started off too hard! We were joking during our WU about how you can't be expected to do math during a hard workout or race - your mind just doesn't work right. Well, that happened to me on my first interval. My first 800 was 2:41, and I thought that put me at 5:42 pace, when REALLY it put me at 5:22 pace. Oops.

800 + 800 = 1600:

2:41 + 2:43 = 5:24. "Ouch. Too hard for #1."

2:49 + 2:45 = 5:34. "Ouch. Slower, and that hurt.

2:45 + 2:48 = 5:33. "Ouch, ouch ouch. I'm done!"

I actually took an extra 30 seconds rest between #2 and #3 because I was hashed.

I snapped a photo of Phil, Kelli, and Marie coming around the track:



Thanks for the workout Marie! It was a good kick in the pants!

6 comments:

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman 9:51 AM, August 04, 2011  

Glad to hear you're back at the speed work and that you like the new shoes. I've hacked away so much at endurance this year, I've lost my own speed. Maybe I'll get back to that once I'm back in action myself.

Keep it up!!

Jamie 10:41 AM, August 04, 2011  

Steve! I just missed you, I was at the Track with Team in Training (we are training for TCM and Nike Women's Marathon) but had to leave early b/c I had the kids with me. Did you talk to our coach Jan? She's awesome and super fast!

Jennifer Harrison 6:55 PM, August 04, 2011  

NICE to see your butt on the track, steve! :))) solid times with little rest for sure!

Anonymous,  4:20 PM, August 05, 2011  

It was great to share the track with you three. Sorry about the switch in the direction of the run, but I am trying to avoid IT band injuries for my participants from always going in the same direction. Great times.

Team in Training Coach - Jan

Steve Stenzel 8:42 PM, August 05, 2011  

Jamie and Jan-

Maybe I'll bump into you again on that track! And no problem with the "wrong" direction - I've always wanted to go the other way, but I've never been brave enough to just start running the other way on a track. But in a big group... no problem!

libgyrl 8:59 AM, August 09, 2011  

i really have to remember to wear "good" running clothes for workouts with you, Steve! hearts for the camera ;)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.