Distance Running Tips from Bart Yasso

>> Monday, October 31, 2011

A few days ago (Oct 20th to be exact), I logged onto twitter to see a great chat topic going on. THEE Bart Yasso was starting to take questions and talk about anything related to running.



I wasn't able to take part, but I checked back after the event was over, and I learned a few good tips! Here's a number of things from Bart Yasso's twitter page:









Next he was on to a topic that I've wrestled with myself:







Over the last 2 years, I've really come to believe his next 2 points on this thread:





(I've only completed one marathon [as part of an Ironman], but I'm thinking about these tips in terms of any longer-distance race. These ideas have worked for me in 10 mile races and half-marathons.)

Someone asked how FAR the "race pace runs" should be. Here's Bart's response:



Next he went on to talk about something I HATE: 800s on the track. Specifically, HIS 800s workout: "Yasso 800s."






"...in your goal time" meaning if you're shooting for a 4-hour marathon,
you do 4-minute 800s.

He even mentioned a half-marathon version of the Yasso 800s. In this case, he has people run 400s:



That sounds like a horrible workout, but something I WILL try sometime.

Before going on to the next topic, he had 2 funny tweets regarding Yasso 800s:




Ha! Love that! :)

It's the end of the summer running season (... OK, it's been ended for some time now...), and Bart had a question about how to handle these upcoming months:




Good to hear, because (1) I think so too and (2) I know
I'll be doing a lot of cross-training this winter




Sure, I'm injured a lot, but I TOTALLY agree with this

So I hope you can use some of these tips from Bart Yasso. And follow him on twitter to be updated on future #BartChat topics! Thanks Bart!

Happy training, everyone!

p.s. If you missed my weekend post on my training / racing goals for the winter, scroll down or click here.

3 comments:

Penny 12:51 PM, October 31, 2011  

Great post. Love getting all this good info. Thanks

HCG diet program 1:06 AM, November 01, 2011  

Nice Tips! Being a fitness freak myself, sure I can use these tips somewhere.

Dominique from Best Running Tips 8:04 PM, November 06, 2011  

Yasso is always worth listening to. I agree with pretty much all that is being said.

Don't think that Yasso 800s are the best workout; it is my experience that people may be able to do the workout but then discover that their marathon time is 10-15 minutes slower than the expected time.

For marathon training it is probably better to do somewhat longer repeats, e.g. 1200m - 1 mile.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.