'Meet of the Miles' 1-Mile Track Meet

>> Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Well, I got a late start to the track because Henry decided to shit everywhere. It wasn't as bad as the 2 photos in this post, but it still wasn't good. He had poop up his back, on his arm, and all over the sleeve of his onesie. AND he manage to get a foot-ful of poop too. Great. Here he is THRILLED to be taking a bath post-poop-plosion:


Oh, you can see his 2 teeth in this photo!
They came in on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

Anyway, I got to the race, warmed-up a bit, and watched the SPEEDY heat start:



I was going to be racing in heat #2. I didn't know what to expect in this mile. As I posted yesterday, I have NOT been doing as much speed-work lately, and I HAVE been doing more longer-distance runs. Here are my 4 previous 1-mile times:

Dec 2008: 5:00.70
Jan 2009: 4:54.60
Dec 2010: 4:53.01
Jan 2011: 4:49.53

I KNEW I wasn't going to be able to keep descending it like that! Pre-race, I typed up what I thought my chances were:

- 4:49.5 or better (a PR): 2%. I can't COMPLETELY rule out a PR, but it is highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely. Highly.

- 4:50 - 4:55: 38%. Decent chance I'll end up here. I'd be REALLY happy with this!

- 4:55 - 4:59.99: 40%. Even better chance I'll end up here. I'll still be happy with this. Sub-5 is my main goal for this race.

- 5:00 or slower: 20%. Much better chance of this happening vs setting a PR. This is quite possible. I expect to be right around 5:00, either a little above or below it.

I gave my camera to Nordica, and I toed the line with 10 high-school boys. Really. Well, maybe 1 other guy was older than 18. But still... it was a little intimidating.

"TO YOUR MARKS..... GGOOOOO!"


I'm in the 2nd row under the 5.

Just like last year, I was nearly in last place in my wave right off the bat. I was running along side of one kid with only 1 runner behind us:


I'm in purple to the far left.

I got ahead of the kid I was right next to, and ran most of the race in 9th in my heat:


2 kids behind me.


Trying to work my way up.

FIRST 400: 1:14.9. "Decent. Good start. Keep the pace, Steve!"

SECOND 400: 1:15.7. "You're feeling good! Don't get any slower than this. Go! You're at 5:00 pace, but you've got PLENTY left to go sub-5!"

If you've read some of my 1-mile reports, you know that I usually slow up too much near the middle, and then have TOO much left at the end. Well, I was doing that again. I KNEW I was going to go sub-5 even though at the half-way point I was just over 5:00 / mile pace.

I hit the 800 meter mark, and I kicked it into another gear. After running most of the race so far tucked in 9th, I passed 3 kids in the first 50 meters of that next lap. Bam, bam, bam. Steve Q, Stephanie B, and someone else (I think) were all shouting "Nice move, Steve! Nice!" Thanks guys! Then I passed another runner in the next lap. I was now in 5th.


Photo from Stephanie B. I'm the blur to the far left!


2 laps left!

THIRD 400: 1:13.5. "Nice! Go! You can do better than that!"


Working hard with 1 lap left!

I caught 2 more runners in that last lap. Look at that photo above - I was behind a guy in orange. Look at this next photo of me heading to the finish - I put 10+ meters on that guy over that final 200 meter lap:




Hitting the line / my watch.

FOURTH 400: 1:09.9. "Whoa. TOO MUCH 'LEFT IN THE TANK.' Again. But nice job!"

4:53.86 officially!

I'm thrilled with that finish! It's my "middle" time of my 5 mile races, and I think that's just swell! I need to thank everyone for the cheers and support out there - I heard my name a few times each lap. Steve Q was watching my strides and telling me to keep from over-striding. Other people would be telling me when to "go." And thanks to Nordica for all those photos of me! Thanks everyone!

Here are a few more photos from the rest of the heats:


Willie running with the boys.


Many familiar faces in this one: Suzie, Chad, Sean and Paul!
(All to the left with a guy in red between them all.)


Tom (in white) in the middle of a pack.


Nordica's first track meet since 6th grade! (She's in the blue.)


Nordica had an epic battle to the finish line. OK, not "epic," but whatevs.
(That's Claire taking splits for Nordica to the left,
and someone on the right telling them their finishing places.)


This little boy was IN FRONT for most of the final heat! Everyone was cheering for him!

I cooled down a bit and headed home. It was a fun night catching up with old "racing buddies," and a successful race! Back with more results and some goals for 2012 shortly. Thanks everyone!

11 comments:

TriMOEngr 7:52 AM, January 10, 2012  

Just a hint from someone who's been there - I usually found that I got a lot more diaper blowouts when they were starting to need the next size up diaper. You'll find that the weight ranges overlap a little. Doesn't mean you'll never have to wash poop off again, but it seemed to reduce the up the back/down the leg ones.

Great job on the race! What? No Bowl Full of Sunshine? Hmm...

Unknown 8:55 AM, January 10, 2012  

I suffered a poo-plosion when my first was only two months old. It was at a fourth of July party, she was in my lap, and I was wearing white pants. That was when I learned to keep a change of clothes with me at all times.

The Triathlon Rx 9:01 AM, January 10, 2012  

No poo-bomb tips to add to ^^^ ... but just wanted to say great race!! And check your email! :D

Would love to make it out to some of these meets to cheer. Do you know where I'd find the schedule?

The Triathlon Rx 9:04 AM, January 10, 2012  

Annnnd please disregard part II of above comment. Scrolled down to your previous post and answered my own question!

Carolina John 10:00 AM, January 10, 2012  

Nice mile Steve! Blurry pics are so cool.

SteveQ 10:19 AM, January 10, 2012  

I'll see if I can retrieve the photos I took with you in them; they're blurry, but might be better than what you've got so far.

kT 3:37 PM, January 10, 2012  

+1 on the move-up-a-diaper-size comment. For Hank, that is, not for you. Nice job on the mile!

ALB Tri Me 6:44 PM, January 10, 2012  

Any... and I man ANY blog that starts with "________ decided to shit everywhere" is a must read.

Just saying'!

Steve Stenzel 6:46 AM, January 11, 2012  

Thanks everyone! Regarding the "upping a diaper size," he's in the biggest diaper possible right now. He went up to 3s a while back, and he's on the lower weight of that scale. He doesn't blow through them too often (really), it's just that I get photos when he does. :) Thanks!

Anne 7:54 AM, January 11, 2012  

Nice job regain your composure and then gaining momentum after being mired in poop prior. Kids have an uncanny sense of timing for this stuff, don't they?

Ririnette 9:17 AM, January 11, 2012  

With my boys I found out that switching diaper brands may work. You know, if he's a Pampers guy, he can try the Huggies for a little while or vice versa. Sometimes one brand fits better than the other, depending on his growth and bum shape. It sure seemed to take care of our poopsplosions! You may lose the photo ops though. ;-)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.