'Sh*t Triathletes Say' & My Half Marathon Plan

>> Thursday, January 26, 2012

I've probably said about 1/4 of these. This is great:


Direct link: http://youtu.be/1KTEgLKhjIw

Let's talk strategy for the half marathon this weekend. Here are some POSSIBLE splits:

FOR A HALF MARATHON:

6:19 / mile pace = 1:22:48 (my current 13.1 PR)
6:30 / mile pace = 1:25:13 (what I'd be THRILLED with)
6:43 / mile pace = 1:28:03 (my current "winter" 13.1 PR)
6:52 / mile pace = 1:30:01 (what I REALLY hope to break)

So I hope to go out "easyish" around 1:30:00 pace. Then I should be able to pick it up near the middle and work my way down. Running 6:30 / mile pace would land a GREAT finishing time, and I really don't think I can quite hit that. But, throughout the race, I'll probably note how "far back" from that I am - it's easy to do the math and say something like "Every 2 miles should be another 13 minutes, so at mile 8 I should be at 52 minutes. Well, I'm at 54 minutes, so I'm 2 minutes off my 'thrilled' goal right now."

If you remember, I got in some good long runs through December and early January, but I haven't done much of anything in the last 2 weeks. So I'm not sure that I'll have a good "feel" for what pace I'm supposed to be running. I'll try to watch my splits and keep it around where I HOPE to finish. Last year, I kept all my splits under 7, and I'd like to do that again (if possible).

In the end, I really just want to have a FUN race and not put too much pressure on myself. As he said in the video above: "I have a race this weekend, but it's just a 'B' race." :) Ha! And Pharmie's racing the 10K at the same race, so we'll both be out there together!! Go Pharmie!!

Oh, and little Henry got his first haircut on Tuesday night. He was a CHAMP!



If you haven't done so, make sure to enter yesterday's giveaway!! Thanks everyone!

p.s. I think I'll wear the "Tutti-Frutti" shorts over my tights for the race. Snazzy! :)

10 comments:

Coy Martinez 8:48 AM, January 26, 2012  

I love the "you can read about my runs in my blog". HAHAHAHA! I've said that no fewer than 20 times. Howling laughing!

Good luck on the "B" race! :)

MichaelRunner 8:50 AM, January 26, 2012  

Those videos make me never want to talk about training again. That feeling last sometimes for minutes at a time. Haha, I'm a dork.

TriMOEngr 9:13 AM, January 26, 2012  

Best of luck on your race this weekend. My poor Henry didn't have enough hair to cut until he was almost 19 months old! Your Henry looks so adorable here.

Carolina John 10:03 AM, January 26, 2012  

yea, i've said way to many of those. Way too many.

SteveQ 11:09 AM, January 26, 2012  

Not a triathlete, but only one reference escapes me: TSS?

They missed the "Zone 3 for 20 minutes, then criss-cross threshold up to 5a."

Kathy 2:36 PM, January 26, 2012  

that was funny but I only "got" it because I read ST. I think I've said 1 or 2 of those things. But then again, i've only done 3 triathlons (sprint, HIM and IM) so there you go. :)

Belly 4:05 PM, January 26, 2012  

Awesome! That video had me howling... And such a cute photo of the little guy! Thanks again for the recommendation for the car seat - we're well on our way to outfitting our bambino a la Henry!

Shouldn't he have his own line of gear? BabyTri by Henry? Think about it... I see a real growth industry...

Keith 9:11 PM, January 26, 2012  

That is a seriously cute kid you have there. Not sure if you do the tagging thing, but I tagged you anyways. http://keithsodyssey.blogspot.com/2012/01/2x11-again.html

Eric Mellow 10:14 PM, January 29, 2012  

Thanks for posting my video! I feel a little "famous" for getting posted on a blog that I read. :)

Dabel 10:09 PM, December 10, 2012  

Great video find Steve! Thankfully I have never said a single one of those things... *cough cough*

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.