Doing Another Triathlon, but No Duathlon

>> Monday, March 31, 2014

So I decided I'm doing the longest race at the April 27th YWCA Indoor Triathlon in Minneapolis. When Pharmie and I did that indoor triathlon 2 weeks ago, we both did the shortest distance: the MINI Sprint (400 yd swim, 8 mile bike, 1 mile run). Pharmie's going to do that distance again in about a month (if she's able to - she'll be due 2 weeks after that), and I'll try the MEGA Sprint: 600 yd swim, 12 mile bike, 5K run. As of the end of last week, there were only a few spots left - sign up now if you want to race me!

After the race 2 weeks ago, my hip was achy for a day or 2, but everything was in decent shape. It's time to really start pushing it and seeing what it can do, because it's multisport season in just a few weeks!

The biggest downside to doing this race is that it's the same weekend as the Falls Duathlon that I enjoy racing (I've done that race 4 out of the last 5 years). With so much snow still on the ground, I haven't been out for a bike ride yet, so maybe it's OK that I'm missing that duathlon and it's 14 mile ride. But... if I WAS doing that the duathlon, it would get me on my bike soon and help me be ready for the rest of the season, so I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

And a quick injury update: my last 3 runs last week were all 42 minutes, and I cracked 6 miles during the last 2! There's still some hip aches usually the evening after a run - right after a run everything feels PERFECT, but then it starts to ache a bit 8 hours later. I still have to figure out if I should try any speedwork in the next few weeks or just let any race this spring/summer be my "speedwork." (If I do, I think I'd probably start with 2x2 mile intervals as a way to try running a BIT faster for a while.)

So sign up now if you want to race the MEGA Sprint with me in 4 weeks, and check out my indoor triathlon race report from 2 weeks ago if you're curious what it's like. Have a good week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.