First Du of the Year in 5 Days!

>> Monday, April 27, 2015

Well, on Friday afternoon I got officially registered for the short course race at the Cinco Du Mayo Duathlon that takes place this Saturday. The last time I did this race was 2 years ago, and it was my first (and only) duathlon win.


My butt from my 2013 race report.

It was 35 degrees, windy, and had just finished raining at this race 2 years ago. This weekend for the race, they're saying it will be a LOW of 53 and a high of 78! It will be a very different race experience!

I'm happy to be on board for 3 reasons:

• It was the site of my first win, so it has a special place in my heart. The race has drawn bigger names each year, so it will be harder to win this year, but I'll still be TRYING for win #2. But I'm not holding my breath.

• The course is awesome (it's out by Square Lake). I like the out-and-back run that has some hills. And I like the brutal 10-mile loop on the bike. Lots of hills. Not a fast average, but still a fun time.

• I'll be racing with BFFFN Devon Palmer. Devon's signed up for the long course, so we're not directly competing. Devon will be coming off his big win 2 days ago at the Cannon Falls Duathlon! Congrats, buddy!


Posting a bike split over 2 mins faster than any other competitor at Cannon. Awesome.


With Brian S and Suzie F. Suzie was the winning female, and Brian was 2nd behind Devon.
(You'll remember Brian from my 2013 Cinco Du race report because he won the
long course as I was winning the short course.)

So I've only really gotten in 1 workout since registering for the race because we were gone all weekend: I started the day today with a nice 28-mile ride that had 3x5 minute efforts in it. It was a good "long burn" ride. My intervals were 13:53, 13:35, and 13:56 (21.6, 22.1, and 21.5 mph).

As for the rest of the week, I might do a short-to-medium distance run with some speed tomorrow, some short but intense intervals on the trainer on Wednesday, a short/easy run on Thursday, and maybe a swim on Friday. Then, a balls-to-the-wall duathlon out by Stillwater on Saturday! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Unknown 1:10 PM, April 29, 2015  

Going to be awesome to see you out there again Steve, it has been a while! My (somewhat) fast running days are well behind me now. Alas, all I have is the bike now and my only hope is to have you pass me on run #2.

-Pete Ellis AKA the Man in Black

Steve Stenzel 2:20 PM, April 29, 2015  

PETE! It's been a few years! (We last chatted at the Thanksgiving race a few years back, right?) See you in a few days.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.