Ironman Triathlon Training vs Sprint Triathlon Training (2007 vs 2017)

>> Monday, September 04, 2017

September 1st of 2007 (10 years + 3 days ago) I was getting ready to race Ironman Wisconsin. I posted on my blog about the decision to KEEP training for IM WI through knee issues. In that post, I also shared my training numbers for the 6 months leading up to IM WI (March-Aug, 2007):

• 80,558 yards swam, 4,100 yards was the longest
• 1,228 miles biked, 107 miles was the longest
• 260 miles ran, 13.1 miles was the longest (damn knee)


I was pretty proud of those numbers. They were simply to "get me through" an Ironman. (I would train and race with a very different goal when I do my next Ironman - maybe in 15-40 years.)

This year, I only did duathlons and sprint triathlons. And HERE are my numbers for March-Aug 2017 while training for these short races:

• 86,370 yards swam, 2,200 yards was the longest
• 1,164.75 miles biked, 42 miles was the longest (1,229.42 if including trainer time)
• 412.58 miles ran, 9.47 miles was the longest


The bike number is all outside miles and doesn't include 3 hours and 14 minutes of trainer time, which (averaging 20 mph) would add 64.67 miles, and that would put my 6 month total this year at 1,229.42 miles biked, or 1 mile farther than during Ironman training 10 years ago. Swimming is a bit farther this year, and running is about 60% more.

THIS is why I was able to have such a good year racing triathlons! I put in the work! MORE work than when Ironman training - a race that lasted 13x longer than most of my races this year!!

Back with some long run weekend training updates soon. As well as a recap to a decent August.

2 comments:

Keith 9:54 AM, September 04, 2017  

Longer distances overall, yes. But the longest individual workout was much shorter. My suspicion is that the longer distances beat you up far more than shorter distances, and take correspondingly more recovery, which most IM athletes don't let happen, on the theory if they do everything right, they can recover after the race.

Steve Stenzel 9:39 PM, September 04, 2017  

That's good insight Keith, but I think the bigger issues was that I was able to go as far (well... FARTHER) with much shorter workouts - meaning I was working out a lot more this year. In Ironman training, I would sometimes only do 1 long ride a week. And maybe 2 runs. Lately, I've had a LOT more intensity, but (sort of as you mentioned) I'd heal up quicker because I wasn't going as far. At any rate, it's been good for me! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.